Extend a temporary worker’s permit
COVID-19: new option for hiring a temporary worker already in Canada
A worker already in Canada with an employer-specific work permit may be able to start working for you right away if you
- have a valid Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), or
- can hire in an LMIA-exempt situation using the employer portal
Find out more about workers in Canada who want to change employers.
When to extend a temporary worker’s permit
The temporary worker must apply to extend or change the conditions of their work permit if you want to
- extend their employment beyond the expiry date of the work permit
- change their occupation or wages substantially
- hire them after they’ve worked in Canada for a different employer
If the worker has an open work permit
Temporary workers with an open work permit don't need to renew or extend their permit to begin working for a new employer. They only need to renew or extend their work permit if it’s about to expire.
What you need to do before the temporary worker can apply to extend their permit
Before they can apply to extend or renew their work permit, you need to either
- apply for a new LMIA from Employment and Social Development Canada/Service Canada,
- submit a new offer of employment, and
- pay the employer compliance fee if you don’t need an LMIA.
When you don’t need to pay the fee or submit an offer of employment
You don’t need to pay the employer compliance fee or submit an offer of employment if
What the temporary worker needs to do and when
The temporary worker should apply to change the conditions of their work permit as soon as they’re able to, if their occupation or wages at work are changing substantially, or they are changing employers.
The temporary worker should apply at least 30 days before the expiry date of their original work permit to extend their work permit.
Find out more about what the temporary worker has to do to apply to extend or change the terms and conditions of their existing work permit.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: