Extend a temporary worker’s permit

The temporary worker must apply for an extension or renewal of their work permit if you want to

  • extend their employment beyond the expiry date of the work permit, or
  • hire them after they have worked in Canada for a different employer.
Temporary workers with an open work permit don't need to renew or extend their permit to begin working for a new employer. They will only need to renew or extend their work permit if it is about to expire.

Before the temporary worker can apply to extend their work permit, you will need to either


  • submit a new offer of employment and
  • pay the employer compliance fee if you don’t need an LMIA.
You don’t need to pay the employer compliance fee or submit an offer of employment if the worker you hire has an open work permit or if you are exempt from the employer compliance process.

The temporary worker must also apply to change the conditions of their permit if the conditions of work change.

The temporary worker should apply at least 30 days before the expiry date of their original work permit to extend or change the terms and conditions of the existing work permit.

To learn more about what the temporary worker has to do to apply to extend or change the terms and conditions of their existing work permit, see Extend your work permit.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: