Find out if you can change your employer - Live-in Caregiver program

The Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) is closed to new applicants. 

If you are currently working in the LCP, you can change jobs for personal or other reasons. In this case, you must find a new employer who:

  • agrees to a live-in arrangement
  • can get an LMIA that includes a live-in arrangement

If you want to apply for permanent residence through the LCP, you must live in the home of your employer for at least two of your first four years in Canada. You can change employers during this time, but make sure you will meet this requirement. If you don’t meet it, you may still qualify for permanent residence through the Caring for Children or Caring for People with High Medical Needs classes.

Before you leave your present job

You must get these documents from your employer:

  • a record of any overtime hours you worked
  • a record of employment (ROE)

The ROE must include:

  • your reason for leaving
  • hours worked
  • gross earnings
  • any money paid or payable at the time you left your job

Only your employer can get and complete the ROE. Your employer is legally responsible to give you one. They can’t refuse to do so. If you have problems getting your ROE, contact your local Service Canada Centre and ask them to contact your employer.

Keep your ROE in a safe place. It is your work record and can be proof that you have worked the necessary time to apply for permanent resident status.

If you have a new live-in caregiver job offer

You must

  • sign a written contract with your new employer
  • make sure your employer gets a positive labour market impact assessment
  • get a new work permit

If you will be working in the province of Quebec, you will also need an attestation of issuance of your Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ).

Apply to change your employer on your LCP work permit.

If you don’t already have a new job as a live-in caregiver

If you want to find a new employer, a Service Canada Centre may have information about available caregiver positions. You can also use the national Job Bank to find a new employer.

If you haven’t found a new job as a live-in caregiver, and your work permit is about to expire, you can apply for a bridge extension. This is a two-month temporary work permit. It will let you work at any job in Canada while you look for a new job as a live-in caregiver. You can’t work for a new employer until we approve your bridge extension work permit.

When you apply to extend your work permit, make sure you write “bridge extension” and the reason why you need one in box 1b in the “Details of Intended Work in Canada” section of the work permit extension application form.


Find out if you are eligible

Page details

Date modified: