Apply to change employers in the Live-In Caregiver Program

You need to give your biometrics

In most cases, you now need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) after you apply.

Find out who needs to give biometrics and how the new application process works.

The Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) is closed to new applicants. 

Follow these steps to apply for a new LCP work permit if you:

  • came to Canada through the program and
  • want to stay in the program and
  • want to change employers

1. Sign a written employment contract with your new employer

You and your future employer are legally required to sign a written employment contract. The written contract will make sure there is a fair working arrangement between you and your employer.

The contract must show that you and your employer meet the requirements of the Labour Market Impact Assessment for in-home caregivers. It must include a description of:

  • all benefits the employer must provide to you, including:
    • transportation from where you live now to where you will work in Canada
    • medical insurance from the date you arrive until you are covered by provincial health insurance
    • workplace safety insurance for the length of your contract
    • all recruitment fees, including any amount a third-party recruiter or agents hired by the employer charges you
  • job duties
  • hours of work
  • pay
  • housing
  • vacation and sick leave benefits
  • details on how the employment can end (if you quit or if the employer no longer wants to hire you), including:
    • the amount of notice you or the employer must give
    • how they will pay the remaining wages
    • what will happen to any vacation time that is still owed to you

Service Canada has a contract template you can use to create the employment contract. Your contract does not have to look exactly like the template, but it must contain all the mandatory information and clauses.

Your employer will need to submit this contract as part of their Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) application. You will also need to submit the signed contract with your work permit application. The contract you submit must match the employment contract your employer submitted with their LMIA application. You must explain any changes, like a new start date, if they do not match.

Note: If you will work in the province of Quebec, you must use the Quebec contract template.

2. Make sure your employer gets a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment

Before you can apply for a new work permit, your employer will need to get a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Service Canada. The LMIA must show that you have agreed to live in your employer’s home. This is so that you stay eligible to apply for permanent residence through the LCP.

If you choose to live outside of your employer’s home, you will no longer be a caregiver in the LCP. Make sure you meet the requirements for permanent residence through the LCP before you decide to live outside your employer’s home. If you don’t meet the live-in requirements, you may still qualify for permanent residence through the Caring for Children or Caring for People with High Medical Needs classes.

The positive LMIA confirms that there is a need for this job in Canada and the employer can hire a foreign worker to do it. It also shows that the wages and working conditions your employer is offering:

  • meet provincial or territorial employment standards
  • match the wages paid to Canadians in the same occupation

If your employer gets a positive LMIA, you will be able to apply for permanent residence through the LCP, when you have met the work requirement.

3. Apply for a new work permit

To change employers in the LCP, you need to apply to change the conditions of your existing work permit. In this case, the condition you’re changing is the employer you work for. When you submit your application, you must include

  • a copy of the employment contract you and your employer signed
  • a copy of the positive LMIA your employer received, that includes a live-in option
  • an attestation of issuance of your Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ), if you work in the province of Quebec

You must submit your application at least 30 days before your current work permit expires.

If your current work permit expires before you submit an application to change your employer, you must apply:

  • to restore your status as a temporary resident in Canada and
  • for a new work permit

You must do this within 90 days of the expiry date on your current work permit. You also need to pay an extra fee to restore your status. This means you must pay both the Restoration of Temporary Resident Status fee and the regular work permit fee.

After you apply to change your employer

We review your application to change your employer.

If we approve your application, we mail you your work permit. If we refuse your application, we send you an explanation letter by email to your account.

You can’t start working for a new employer until you receive your new work permit.


Page details

Date modified: