Become a permanent resident – Live-in Caregivers

Our fees changed

The fees for most of our economic immigration programs and the right of permanent residence increased as of April 30, 2020. Find out more.

You need to give your biometrics

In most cases, you now need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) after you apply.

Find out who needs to give biometrics and how the new application process works.

The Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) is closed to new applicants. You can only apply for permanent residence through the LCP if you have at least 2 years of work experience in the program and:

  • you’re already working in Canada with an LCP work permit, or
  • you were approved for your first LCP work permit based on a Labour Market Impact Assessment submitted to Employment and Social Development Canada on or before November 30, 2014

Otherwise, you may still qualify for permanent residence through a different caregiver option.

Requirements to become a permanent resident

You may be eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada after you have had the following work experience under the Live-in Caregiver Program:

  • 24 months of authorized full-time live-in employment, or
  • 3,900 hours of authorized full-time employment. You can complete these hours within a minimum of 22 months. When calculating your hours, you can also include up to 390 hours of overtime; and
  • The work experience must be acquired within four years of your date of arrival.

Your work experience under the Live-in Caregiver Program may also allow you to apply for permanent residence through the Caring for Children or Caring for People with High Medical Needs pathway.

When calculating your work experience, you cannot include:

  • Any period of unemployment
  • Any extended time outside Canada. For example, if you leave Canada for longer than the period of vacation time allotted in your employment contract, that period does not count.
  • Any period you work for your employer outside Canada. For example, time spent on a family vacation outside of Canada will not count.
  • Any period you work in Canada as a caregiver while living outside the home of your employer. If you have work experience as a live-out caregiver that you would like to include in your application, you must apply for permanent residence through the Caring for Children or Caring for People with High Medical Needs pathway.

What can affect your application

Your application is affected if:

  • you, your spouse or common-law partner, or any of your family members have a criminal record or a serious medical problem or pose a security risk.
  • you didn’t provide truthful information to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

What cannot affect your application

Your application is not affected by upgrading your skills in Canada, volunteer work, marital status or the number of family members you have in your home country.

Applying for your family at the same time

You must list all your family members in your application for permanent resident status. Your family members can have medical, criminal and security screening at the time of your application even if they don’t want to come to Canada with you. Family members who aren’t listed on your application and were not screened cannot be sponsored by you at a later date.

You and your listed family members can get permanent resident status at the same time or you can sponsor your family members at a later date as long as they meet the requirements.

You and all your family members must pass medical, criminal and security screening before you can receive permanent resident status.

Applying for an open work permit at the same time

You can apply for an open work permit at the same time that you apply for permanent resident status. After you receive your open work permit you can take any job you want.

Permanent residence in Quebec

If you have a Live-in Caregiver Program work permit and are working in Quebec, the province will also assess your application. The province will look for additional information, including your knowledge of French. For more information on permanent residence in Quebec, visit the website of the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (Quebec Immigration).

Leaving Canada (permanently or for vacation)

If your permanent residence application is in process and you leave Canada for any reason, you may need to reapply for a temporary resident visa before returning to Canada. Before traveling, you should apply for a new temporary resident visa from within Canada.

If you leave Canada for more than one year or if your work permit has expired, you will have to reapply to the overseas visa office or Visa Application Centre to return to Canada.

You can leave the program and return permanently to your home country at any time. However, you should give adequate notice to your employer.


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: