Extend or change the conditions on your work permit: Who can apply
Special measures for Iranian temporary residents in Canada
If you’re an Iranian temporary resident in Canada, you can apply to extend your stay in Canada for free by applying to
- extend your current temporary status
- change your temporary resident status
Who can apply
This application is for you if you
- want to extend your work permit
- need to make changes to the conditions on your work permit, such as
- the type of work you can do
- the employer you can work for
- where you can work
- need to change your gender on your work permit
- If you identify as a different gender than the one on your work permit, use this application and include the Request for a Change of Sex or Gender Identifier form [IRM 0002] (PDF, 1.47 MB).
- If we made a mistake on your work permit, you can ask to amend a valid temporary resident document.
If you don’t have a work permit but want to work in Canada temporarily, find out what you need to do.
Employer-specific work permits
You need to apply to extend or change the conditions of your work permit if:
- your job is extended
- there are changes to your current job, such as:
- a change in your pay
- new responsibilities
- you’re offered a different job
- you want to work for a new employer
You can’t start working at a different job or for a new employer until you get your work permit with the new conditions.
Open work permits
If you have an open work permit, you may be able to extend it as long as you’re still eligible to work in Canada with an open work permit.
- Date modified: