What if I am unhappy with a complaint I made through another mechanism?


At the Ombudsman’s Office, we’re here to help. We can do this in a variety of ways – by giving you information, by pointing you in the right direction or by investigating your complaint.

There are many options available to you if you feel that you have been treated unfairly – such as informal resolution, alternate dispute resolution and mediation. There are also more formal options available to you, such as the Canadian Forces Grievance Process, or the Public Service grievance and complaint processes.

It is important to note that there are timelines associated with the submission of a formal complaint.

If you call our Office before seeking help from one of these mechanisms, our intake officer will listen to your complaint and explain the options available to you, as well as relevant timelines.

So what happens if you’ve decided to go the more formal route and you’re unhappy with how that resource is handling your complaint? Say there are delays or you are not being kept in the loop?

We may be able to help.

An Ombudsman investigator can review your file to make sure that the process and policies were understood and applied fairly and may assist in ensuring the process is back on track.

If you contact us after a formal decision is complete, we do not have the power to change a decision or to act as the final authority – but we can make recommendations if we believe that you were treated unfairly within the process.

Remember, the best thing that you can do if you’re unsure about the treatment you received is to ask. Our intake officers, analysts and investigators have a wide range of knowledge about Defence and Canadian Forces issues and they are well equipped to point you in the right direction. We’re here, ready to help.


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: