Entering Canada by land during COVID-19
Organization: Public Health Agency of Canada
Date published: 2021-04-23
Travellers entering Canada must follow the rules set out by the Emergency Orders under the Quarantine Act to help reduce the spread of COVID-19 and its variants. Failure to comply with any requirements or providing false information may result in fines, penalties or imprisonment. If you develop symptoms at any time, isolate yourself from others and contact local public health.
Before you travel
- Plan your quarantine.
- Take a COVID-19 molecular test in the U.S. within 72 hours before arrival at the border.
- Create an account with Switch Health in advance to save time at the border.
- Use ArriveCAN to enter your information.
- Have your ArriveCAN receipt and test result ready.
At the border
- Wear a mask.
- Provide required information and documents. Answer all eligibility and health screening questions.
- Collect two COVID-19 molecular test kitsFootnote 1.
- Complete the first test at the border, if on-site services are available. If not, complete the test at your place of quarantine the day you arrive.
- Keep the second kit for use on Day 8.
If you have symptoms or an unsuitable quarantine plan, you will be directed to a designated quarantine facility or other suitable location.
- Go directly to your place of quarantine.
- If you didn’t complete a test at the border, follow the instructions in your kit to complete it the day you arrive.
- Use ArriveCAN or call 1-833-641-0343 to check-in the day after you enter Canada and to report symptoms daily.
- Complete and ship your Day 8 test kit according to the instructions.
You will be contacted by Government of Canada and provincial or territorial officials.
- Footnote 1
Note: Arrival and Day 8 testing differs for some travellers to Alberta. Follow the instructions provided at the border.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: