Entering Canada by air during COVID-19
Upcoming border changes
Fully vaccinated foreign nationals may be allowed to enter Canada for discretionary travel on the following dates if they meet specific criteria:
- Effective August 9: American citizens and permanent residents of the United States, who currently reside in the United States, who meet specific criteria to qualify as fully vaccinated
- September 7 (intended start date): All other foreign nationals who qualify as fully vaccinated
The 3-night hotel stopover requirement will be eliminated for all travellers arriving by air after 12:01 A.M. EDT on August 9.
Organization: Public Health Agency of Canada
Date published: 2021-07-06
For travellers who do not qualify as fully vaccinated
Travellers entering Canada must follow the rules set out by the Emergency Orders under the Quarantine Act to help reduce the spread of COVID-19 and its variants. Failure to comply with any requirements or providing false information may result in fines, penalties or imprisonment. If you develop symptoms at any time, isolate yourself from others and contact local public health.
- Plan your quarantine.
- Pre-book your hotel for a 3-night stay upon arrival.
- Take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72 hours before your scheduled flight.
- Register for your arrival test in advance to save time at the airport.
- Use ArriveCAN to enter your information.
- Have your ArriveCAN receipt and test result ready.
Upon arrival to Canada
- Provide required documents and information, including your quarantine plan. Answer all eligibility and health screening questions.
- Complete a COVID-19 molecular test.
- Collect a test kit for use on Day 8 of your quarantineFootnote 1.
If you have symptoms, you will be directed to a designated quarantine facility.
If your arrival test is negative:
- check out of the hotel and go directly to your place of quarantine
- complete and ship the Day 8 test kit according to the instructions
- you will be directed to a designated quarantine facility or other suitable location and begin a 14-day isolation period
Use ArriveCAN or call 1-833-641-0343 to check-in after you arrive at the hotel and again when you reach your place of quarantine, and to report symptoms daily.
You will be contacted by Government of Canada and provincial or territorial officials.
- Footnote 1
Note: Day 8 testing may differ for some travellers entering Alberta. Follow the instructions provided at the border.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: