The deadline to file most tax returns is April 30th
If you're like most Canadians, the deadline to file your 2019 taxes is April 30, 2020. If you owe money, it must also be paid by this date.
If you, your spouse, or common-law partner are self-employed, you have until June 15, 2020, to do your taxes. However, you still have to pay what you owe by April 30, 2020.
You should file your return by April 30th to avoid penalties on any money you owe. It also ensures there are no delays in receiving important government payments such as the Canada child benefit, the GST/HST credit, and related provincial or territorial benefits and credits.
Need to make a payment?
You can pay your taxes online in many ways:
- through your financial institution's online or telephone banking service.
- using the My Payment service, which lets you make payments to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) online with your Visa® Debit, Debit MasterCard®, or Interac® Online debit card from a participating financial institution. You can access My Payment from My Account or MyCRA.
- setting up a pre-authorized debit through My Account and MyCRA to:
- make pre-authorized payments from your Canadian bank account to the CRA
- pay an overdue amount or make instalment payments
- by credit card, PayPal, or Interac e-Transfer through a third-party service provider.
- in person at any Canada Post outlet using cash or a debit card with a QR code you can create using My Account or MyCRA.
- in person at a Canadian financial institution with a remittance voucher.
Can't pay before the deadline?
If you can't pay what you owe right away, file your taxes by the deadline to avoid penalties. If you file your taxes by the deadline, you may be able to make a payment arrangement. This lets you make smaller payments over time until you've paid your entire debt, including interest.
For more information, visit the Canada Revenue Agency's (CRA) Payment arrangements web page or call 1-888-863-8657. Telephone agents can help you Monday to Friday from 7 am to 11 pm, Eastern time, except on holidays.
Need more information?
If you need more information, the automated Tax Information Phone Service (TIPS) can help all day, every day. Call TIPS at 1‑800‑267‑6999.
If you need to talk to someone about your taxes, the CRA has extended evening and Saturday hours between February 24 and April 30, 2020. You can call an agent at 1‑800-959-8281.
Canada Revenue Agency
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: