Did you donate to a charity? You may be able to claim a charitable donation tax credit
Did you donate to a registered Canadian charity or other qualified donee that gives official donation receipts? You may be eligible for a charitable donation tax credit that reduces the amount of tax you may owe to the Canada Revenue Ageccy (CRA).
How do you claimyour charitable donation tax credit?
Step 1: Calculate your charitable donation tax credit by figuring out the eligible amount of your charitable donations.
Step 2: Decide how much you want to claim. In any one tax year, you can claim:
- donations you made by December 31 of that year
- any unclaimed donations you made in the last five years, or the last ten years where the donation was a gift of ecologically sensitive land
- any unclaimed donations your spouse or common-law partner made during the year or in the last five years, or the last ten years where the donation was a gift of ecologically sensitive land made after February 10, 2014
Step 3: Once you have determined the amount to claim, enter this amount on your income tax and benefit return. Make sure you keep your official donation receipts for six years after the end of the tax year you made a claim in, in case the CRA asks to see them. If you did your taxes late, keep your receipts for six years from the date you submitted your return.
Where do you get an official donation receipt?
Where do you find information about a charity?
If you want to learn more about a charity before donating, there are different ways to get information. You can:
- Contact the charity directly; they are in the best position to give you information.
- Search for the charity in our List of charities or by using the MyCRA mobile web app. Using the list, you can find a charity's registration status, contact information, general activities, and financial information.
- Make an informal information request with the CRA for information about the charity that is not in the List of charities.
- Make a formal access to information request.
What donations can you claim as a charitable donation tax credit?
Donations of property, including cash, goods, land, and listed securities to a registered charity or other qualified donee may be eligible for a charitable donation tax credit.
For more information on charities and donations, go to the Giving to charity: Information for donors topic page on canada.ca.
- 30 -
Canada Revenue Agency
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: