Tax information for northern residents

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is taking steps to help northern residents and businesses meet their tax obligations so they can get the benefits and credits they're entitled to. Here is some information to help you get started this tax season.

Northern residents deductions

You may qualify for the northern residents deductions if you live in one or more prescribed zones on a permanent basis, throughout a period of at least six consecutive months beginning or ending in the tax year for which a tax return is being filed. Click here to see if you qualify.

Benefits and credits

In addition to the northern residents deductions, there are several other benefits and credits that may help you and your family that are available to all Canadian residents. These include the Canada child benefit, and the GST/HST credit.

To continue getting these benefits and credits, you need to file your return on time every year, even if your income is tax exempt or you had no income at all. The CRA uses the information from your tax return to calculate your federal benefit and credit payments, and any related provincial or territorial payments. 

Tax filing services for territorial residents

As part of the Northern Service Improvement Strategy, three new CRA Northern Service Centres were announced in August 2018, which will provide a year-round physical presence to support individuals and businesses in Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut starting mid-February 2019.

Free tax help for individuals

If you have a modest income and a simple tax situation, volunteers from the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (known as Income Tax Assistance - Volunteer Program in Quebec) may be able to do your taxes for you, for free. The clinics are usually open from February to the end of April, with some open year-round.

Free tax help for small businesses

Through the Liaison Officer service, the CRA offers free in-person support and guidance to owners of small businesses or self-employed individuals in the north to help them understand and meet their tax obligations. For more information or to request a visit or seminar, go to

Payment options

There are many ways you can make a payment to the CRA:

  • in person at any Canada Post outlet using cash or debit card 
  • using your financial institution's telephone or online banking service
  • using the CRA's pre-authorized debit service offered through My Account, which lets you:
    • set up a payment from your bank account to the CRA on a pre-set date
    • pay an overdue amount or make instalment payments
  • through the CRA's My Payment service, which lets you make payments online. You can use this service if you have Visa® Debit, Debit MasterCard® or Interac® Online at a participating financial institution
  • through a third-party service provider that offers payment by credit card or PayPal.





Media Relations
Canada Revenue Agency

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: