Remember, the deadline to file most returns is April 30

Most Canadian income tax and benefit returns for 2017 are due on April 30, 2018. If you have a balance owing, the total amount is also due by that date.

If you or your spouse or common-law partner are self-employed, you have until June 15, 2018, to file your return. However, if you have a balance owing, you must pay it by April 30, 2018.

Filing your return by the deadline helps you avoid interest and penalties on any balance owing. It also helps avoid interruptions to your benefit and credit payments, such as the Canada child benefit, the GST/HST credit, and any related provincial or territorial payments.

Do you have a balance owing?

There are many ways you can make a payment to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA):    

  • using your financial institution’s telephone or online banking service
  • using the CRA’s pre-authorized debit service offered through My Account, which lets you:
    • set up a payment from your bank account to the CRA on a pre-set date
    • pay an overdue amount or make instalment payments
  • in person at any Canada Post outlet using cash or a debit card
  • through the CRA’s My Payment service, which lets you make payments online. You can use this service if you have Visa® Debit, Debit MasterCard® or Interac® Online at a participating financial institution.

Can’t pay in full before the deadline?

Even if you can’t pay your balance owing right away, you must still file your return by the deadline to avoid a late-filing penalty.

If you can’t pay the full amount by the deadline, you may be able to make a payment arrangement with the CRA. An agent can work with you to develop a payment plan if you are eligible. For more information, go to the CRA’s payment arrangements page or call 1-888-863-8657 where agents are available Monday to Friday (except holidays) from 7 am to 11 pm, Eastern time.

Need more information?

If you need more information at tax time, the Tax Information Phone Service (TIPS) is an automated telephone service that can help all day, every day. You can call TIPS at 1-800-267-6999.

If you need to speak with an agent, the CRA has extended evening and Saturday hours for individual tax questions from February 26 to April 30, 2018. Call 1-800-959-8281.

Go to for more tips on getting ready to file your 2017 return.




Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: