Auto-fill my return
Auto-fill my return is a secure Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) service that allows individuals and authorized representatives using certified software, to automatically fill in parts of an income tax and benefit return with information that the CRA has available at the time of the request.
How do I use Auto-fill my return?
To use the Auto-fill my return service, you must:
When you are ready to use Auto-fill my return, your software will prompt you to enter your My Account user ID and password. Follow the steps provided in the software you are using. Once Auto-fill my return has populated your return with the information, make sure that all the proper fields on the return are filled in and that the information provided is true, accurate and complete before you file your return.
Preparing a tax return for a family member or a friend
Individuals can also use Auto-fill my return on behalf of a family member. If you prepare a tax return for a family member or a friend, you need to:
- be authorized by your family member or friend to use Auto-fill my return on their behalf. You will need a RepID, which you can get through the Represent a Client portal. The RepID identifies you with the CRA.
- give your RepID to your family member or friend so they can authorize you as their representative through their My Account. For more information on authorizing a representative, go to Authorize or cancel a representative.
- once you are authorized, you can use Auto-fill my return to access their tax information and file a return for them.
Each individual should enter their own CRA user ID and password to use this service. Auto-fill my return can be used for the current tax filing year plus the previous seven tax years, depending on the software you use.
To use the Auto-fill my return service,
- be a registered electronic filer
- be registered in Represent a Client and have a RepID, GroupID, or Business Number (BN)
- use an EFILE-certified software
your client must:
- authorize you for online access (RepID, GroupID, or business number) to their CRA tax information, using one of the following methods:
- directly in their My Account.
- through your EFILE-certified software. The signature page generated by the software is to be signed by the client and kept by you for six years.
- by confirming in their My Account the authorization request you submitted in Represent a Client.
What information does Auto-fill my return deliver?
The Auto-fill my return service will deliver all of the information listed below that is available at the time of the request. The CRA receives tax information from third parties and as such, the CRA should have most tax information slips and other tax-related information by mid-March of each year. However, if the information is not available, it is possible that the CRA has not yet received it. If that is the case, please try the service again later.
Receipts for RRSP and PRPP contributions made in the first 60 days of the 2024 year may not be available until May 2024.
Tax information slips
The following information may be available for 2016 and subsequent tax years:
- T3, Statement of Trust Income Allocations and Designations
- T4, Statement of Remuneration Paid
- T4A, Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income
- T4A(OAS), Statement of Old Age Security
- T4A(P), Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits
- T4E, Statement of Employment Insurance and Other Benefits
- T4RIF, Statement of Income from a Registered Retirement Income Fund
- T4RSP, Statement of Registered Retirement Savings Plan Income
- T5, Statement of Investment Income
- T5007, Statement of Benefits
- T5008, Statement of Securities Transactions
- RC62, Universal Child Care Benefit Statement
- RC210, Advanced Canada workers benefit statement
- RRSP, Registered Retirement Savings Plan contribution receipt
- PRPP, Pooled Registered Pension Plan contribution receipt
- T2202, Tuition and Enrolment Certificate
- T1204, Government Service Contract Payments
- RENT ASSIST
- T5013, Statement of Partnership income
- T4FHSA, First Home Savings Account Statement
For more information, go to Tax information slips.
Other tax-related information
The following information is available for 2023 income tax and benefit returns:
- Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) deduction limit
- Home Buyers’ Plan (HBP) required repayment, repayments to date, required repayment remaining and required repayment for the next tax year
- Lifelong Learning Plan (LLP) required repayment, repayments to date, required repayment remaining and required repayment for the next tax year
- non-capital losses
- capital gains and losses
- capital gains deductions
- federal tuition, education, and textbook carryforward amounts
- provincial tuition, education, and textbook carryforward amounts
- Canada training credit limit
- NETFILE access code
- Employment Insurance (EI) election on self-employment
- Allowable business investment loss (ABIL), history of deductions
- Uncashed cheques
- Unused net capital losses
- Instalment amounts
T4A slips available in Auto-fill my return may include amounts received for the following COVID-19 Emergency Relief measures:
- Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)
- Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB)
- Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB)
- Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB)
- Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB)
- Provincial/Territorial COVID-19 Financial assistance payments
- Canada Worker Lockdown Benefit (CWLB)
Client Data Enquiry (CDE)
The CDE is a service that provides the following 2023 client information through Auto-fill my return to representatives using EFILE-certified software. CDE is also available in Represent-a-Client.
- Home Buyers' Plan (HBP) required repayment, repayments to date, required repayment remaining and required repayment for the next tax year
- Lifelong Learning Plan (LLP) required repayment to date, required repayment remaining and required repayment for the next tax year
- Social assistance or workers' compensation benefits
- Employment insurance and other benefits (T4E)
- Advanced Canada workers benefit payments statement (RC210)
- Universal child care benefit (RC62)
- Reassessment information
- Balance owing
- New balance owing message for prior claim(s) on a refund
- No debt owing indicators
- Current tax year return
- Other existing outstanding balances
- Recent page access
- Federal tuition, education, and textbook carryforward amounts
- Provincial tuition, education, and textbook carryforward amounts
- Disability tax credit eligibility
- Unfiled returns
- External refund set-off
- Internal refund set-off
- Reassessment in progress
- Pension, retirement, annuity, and other income (T4A)
- CPP payments (T4A(P))
- Outstanding GST/HST returns
- Canada workers benefit
- Immigration Date
- Emigration Date
- EFILE ineligibility indicators
- Direct deposit indicators
- Non-Resident Source Deduction Identification (NRSDI) indicator
- Canada Emergency Benefits (CEB) debt indicator
Before you file a tax return with the CRA using the information delivered by Auto-fill my return you have to ensure that all proper fields on the return are filled in correctly, including information not delivered by Auto-fill my return, and that the information provided is true, accurate and complete. It remains the taxpayer's responsibility to report their income before a tax return is submitted to the CRA.
If you are missing or notice a mistake on an information slip, contact the employer, payer, or administrator for that slip.
If you notice a mistake in the tax-related information, have an account-specific question about other tax-related information, or need additional information, call the Individual Tax enquiries service at 1-800-959-8281.
If you are having problems with the Auto-fill my return login process, go to CRA user ID and password help and FAQs or contact the Individual Tax enquiries service at 1-800-959-8281.
Information about T5 slips (Statement of Investment Income)
T5 slips in more than one name (couples or parent/child)
The Auto-fill my return service gathers all tax income slips that the CRA has available in My Account for you to review in your software. You will be prompted to determine if the amount is accurate and who should report the income from slips showing more than one individual’s name. You will then be able to verify and choose if you wish to report the income in total, in part, or not at all.
Splitting income from a T5 slip
Once the Auto-fill my return service delivers the T5 slip into a NETFILE-certified software, you need to report your share of interest from a joint investment based on how much you contributed to it. You can enter the percentage of interest directly in the software. The difference would need to be declared by the other individual.
Information about the T5008 slip (Statement of Securities Transactions)
T5008 – more than 500 slips
The Auto-fill my return service will not deliver more than 500 T5008 slips. If your client has 501 slips or more, they will receive an error message informing them that there were too many slips to deliver. In such a case, all of the T5008 slips will have to be manually entered.
- Date modified: