Host a free tax clinic
Does your organization work with clients who need help with their tax return? By hosting a free tax clinic, you can help people get the benefits and credits they are entitled to receive, increase your organization's impact in your community, and help improve your clients’ quality of life.
About free tax clinics
At free tax clinics, people with a modest income and a simple tax situation can get their tax returns done by volunteers for free. Free tax clinics are hosted by community organizations across Canada through the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP).
Organizations that host free tax clinics include non-profits, charities, municipalities, libraries, seniors residences, and community associations, among others. Some organizations offer a full-service tax clinic, they look after volunteers and organize the clinic, while others only provide space. Your organization can decide the type and frequency of services you wish to offer and can choose to host in-person or virtual tax clinics.
How the program works
The CVITP is a collaboration between community organizations and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
The community organization:
- hosts the free tax clinics
- manages resources and volunteers
- keeps taxpayer information secure and confidential
- makes sure volunteers have completed all required registrations and have provided a valid police records check, if needed
- offers guidance and support to organizations
- provides training for volunteers
- offers a grant for hosting free tax clinics
- provides free tax preparation software
- operates a year-round dedicated help line for volunteers
- provides promotional material
- donates used laptops to eligible organizations
- provides volunteers, who meet certain requirements, access to the CRA’s EFILE and Auto-fill my return services
- promotes your tax clinic on Canada.ca
How to register your organization
Your organization must register with the CVITP every year to participate in the program. After you complete the registration, a CRA coordinator will contact you to ensure you have all the information you need to host a free tax clinic.
If your organization is approved to participate in the program, you will be assigned a CVITP Organization Identification Number (COIN) to retain for the duration of your organization’s participation in the program.
For more information
For more information, contact a CRA coordinator or call 1-800-959-8281.
- Date modified: