Line 22400 – Exploration and development expenses

Note: Line 22400 was line 224 before tax year 2019.

Claim this amount if you invested in petroleum, natural gas, mining, or certain clean energy generation and energy conservation ventures in 2022. However, if your investment constitutes the operating of a business, as opposed to a passive investment, claim this amount in the calculation of net self-employment income on line 13500. For more information, see Lines 13499 to 14300.

If you have any questions about these expenses, call our business enquiries line.

If you have a tax shelter, see Tax shelters.

How to claim this deduction

Complete Form T1229, Statement of Resource Expenses and Depletion Allowance, using the information the principals of the venture give you, such as T5, T101, or T5013 slips. Read the instructions on the back of these slips.

Supporting documents

Attach Form T1229 as well as your T5, T101, or T5013 slips to your paper return. If you do not have these slips, get a statement identifying you as a participant in the venture. The statement has to show your allocation (the number of units you own, the percentage assigned to you, or the ratio of your units to those of the whole partnership), and give the name and address of the fund. 

Completing your tax return

Claim on line 22400 your deduction for exploration and development expenses (including renounced resource expenses).

Claim on line 23200 your deduction for depletion allowances.

Forms and publications

Related topics

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: