Line 31600 – Disability amount for self
Claiming the disability tax credit
If you are approved for the disability tax credit (DTC), you may be able to claim the disability amount of $8,870 on line 31600 of your 2022 tax return (in Step 5 of your T1).
Tax tip: If you or anyone else paid for attendant care or for care in a facility, special rules may apply.
For details: Attendant care and care in a facility
Supplement for children with disabilities
If you were 17 years or younger at the end of 2022 and qualify for the disability amount, you may claim up to an additional $5,174.
This supplement may be reduced if one of the following applies:
- Someone claimed child care expenses (line 21400) or attendant care expenses (line 33099 or 33199) for you on their tax return
- You claimed attendant care expenses (line 21500 or line 33099) on your tax return
Fill out the chart for line 31600 on the Worksheet for the return in your income tax package to calculate your claim.
Doing taxes for someone who died
There may be special considerations when claiming amounts on line 31600 for someone who died.
Forms and publications
- T1 Income tax package
- Guide RC4064, Disability-Related Information
- Form T2201, Disability Tax Credit Certificate
- Guide RC4460, Registered Disability Savings Plan
Thank you for your feedback
- Date modified: