Line 121 - Interest and other investment income

Interest and other investment income make up part of your total income and must be reported on your return.

Interest, foreign interest and dividend income, foreign income, foreign non-business income, and certain other income are all amounts you report on your return. They are usually shown on the following slips:

You may not receive a T5 slip if the investment income is less than $50, but you must still report this income.

You also have to report the interest on any tax refund you received in 2018, which is shown on your notice of assessment or reassessment.


Special rules apply for income from property (including money) one family member lends or transfers to another. See Loans and transfers of property and interpretation bulletins IT-510 and IT-511.

Generally, when you invest your money in your child's name, you must report the income from those investments. However, if you deposited Canada child benefit payments into a bank account or trust in your child's name, the interest earned on those payments is your child's income.

For children born in 2001 or later who report certain investment income, see Split income of a child under 18.

Completing your tax return

Report on line 121 the total interest and investment income.

The amounts you report for the year depend on the type of investment and when you made it. Report amounts you received minus any part of those amounts you reported in previous years. Also report amounts that were credited to you but that you did not receive (such as amounts that were reinvested).

Generally, you report your share of interest from a joint investment based on how much you contributed to it.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: