Line 121 - Interest and other investment income
Interest and other investment income make up part of your total income and must be reported on your return.
Interest, foreign interest and dividend income, foreign income, foreign non-business income, and certain other income are all amounts you report on your return. They are usually shown on the following slips:
- T5, Statement of Investment Income
- T3, Statement of Trust Income Allocations and Designations
- T5013, Statement of Partnership Income
You may not receive a T5 slip if the investment income is less than $50, but you must still report this income.
You also have to report the interest on any tax refund you received in 2016, which is shown on your notice of assessment or notice of reassessment.
Generally, when you invest your money in your child's name, you must report the income from those investments. However, if you deposited Canada child benefit payments into a bank account or trust in your child's name, the interest earned on those payments is your child's income.
For children born in 1999 or later who report certain investment income, see Split income of a child under 18.
Completing your tax return
Report on line 121 the total interest and investment income.
The amounts you report for the year depend on the type of investment and when you made it. Report amounts you received minus any part of those amounts you reported in previous years. Also report amounts that were credited to you but that you did not receive (such as amounts that were reinvested).
Generally, you report your share of interest from a joint investment based on how much you contributed to it.
Forms and publications
- General income tax and benefit package - Guide, return and schedules
- Schedule 4, Statement of Investment Income
- Interpretation Bulletin IT-510, Transfers and Loans of Property Made After May 22, 1985 to a Related Minor
- Interpretation Bulletin IT-511, Interspousal and Certain Other Transfers and Loans of Property
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: