Reproduction of Schedule 3

Reproduction of Schedule 3

For more information about capital gains or losses, including business investment losses, see Line 12700 – Taxable capital gains or see Guide T4037, Capital Gains.

If you realized a gain on a disposition, you may be able to claim a capital gains deduction on line 25400 of your return. If you have capital gains or losses on your T5, T5013, T4PS and T3 information slips, report them on line 17400 or line 17600 of this schedule.

Reproduction of Schedule 3 - Table 1
Property type (1)
Year of
Proceeds of
Adjusted cost
Outlays and
expenses (from
Gain (or loss)
(column 2 minus
columns 3 and 4)

Publicly traded shares, mutual fund units, deferral of eligible small business corporation shares and other shares

Publicly traded shares, mutual fund units, deferral of eligible small business corporation shares, and other shares
 Number Name of fund/corp. and class of shares (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
 200  XYZ Mutual Fund Trust of Canada 2018  3,484.00  3,040.00  70.00  374.00 
  Total 13199  3,484.00  Gain (or loss) 13200  + 374.00 
Capital gains (or losses) from T5, T5013, and T4PS information slips 17400  + 330.00 
Capital gains (or losses) from T3 information slips 17600 17600  + 750.00 
Total of all gains (or losses) before reserves
19100  + 1,454.00 
Total capital gains (or losses)
19700  = 1,454.00 
Applicable rate     × 50%
Total capital gains (or losses) multiplied by the Applicable rate. If the amount is positive, enter it on line 12700 of your return. If negative (a loss), see below.
2023 taxable capital gains
(or net capital loss)

19900  = 727.00 

If the amount is negative (loss), do not report it on line 12700 of your return. Instead, use your latest notice of assessment or reassessment to find out the amount of the loss that you can use to reduce your taxable capital gains of other years.

If you have a net capital loss in 2023 that you would like to apply it against the taxable capital gains that you reported on your 2020, 2021 or 2022 return, complete Form T1A, Request for Loss Carryback.

You can carry forward your net capital losses indefinitely and apply them against your taxable capital gains in the future.

Page details

Date modified: