Do you have to file a return?

File a return for 2019 if:

  • you have to pay tax for the year
  • want to claim a refund
  • you want to claim the Canada workers benefit (CWB) or you received CWB advance payments in the year

If you have a spouse or common-law partner, they also have to file a return.

  • the CRA sent you a request to file a return
  • you disposed of capital property (which could be a principal residence) or you realized a taxable capital gain in the year
  • you have to repay all or part of your old age security or employment insurance benefits. See line 23500
  • you have to contribute to the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) for 2019. This can apply if your total net self-employment income and pensionable employment income is more than $3,500. See line 22200
  • you are paying employment insurance premiums on self-employment income or other eligible earnings. See lines 31217 and 42120
  • you have incurred a non-capital loss in the year that you want to be able to apply in other years. See line 23600
  • you want to transfer unused tuition fees or carry forward unused tuition, education, and textbook amounts to a future year. See line 32300
  • you want to report income that would allow you to contribute to an RRSP, a pooled registered pension plan (PRPP), or a specified pension plan (SPP) to keep your RRSP deduction limit (see Schedule 7) for future years up to date

  • you want to carry forward to a future year the unused investment tax credit on expenditures you incurred during the current year. See line 41200

Deceased persons

If you are the legal representative (the executor, administrator, or liquidator) of the estate of a person who died in 2019, you may have to file a return for 2019 for that person. When there are no legal documents designating a legal representative, you may request to be the deceased person’s representative by completing an Affidavit form for intestate situations.  For more information see T4011, Preparing Returns for Deceased Persons and Information Sheet RC4111, Canada Revenue Agency - What to Do Following a Death

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: