Whether you are planning to study at a university, college or learn a specialized trade, figuring out the financial side of paying for school and managing your finances while studying can be a challenge. Tuition, books, student fees, transportation, housing and other expenses require a large financial investment.
For most students, personal savings will not be enough to cover these costs. Students often rely on student loans for financial support. Student loans can be helpful, but students should aim to graduate with as little debt as possible.
For parents, grandparents and others
For students and parents looking to pay for post-secondary education
- Cost of post-secondary education: information about tuition price differences and expected overall costs.
- Scholarships Canada: a database of scholarships, student awards, bursaries and grants. Also includes information about student loans, applications and budget planning.
- yconic: a database of scholarships, bursaries, fellowships, grants and other financial awards available to Canadian students.
- Student financial assistance: valuable information about savings plans, student loans, grants and scholarships.
- Employment and training initiatives: Information on programs and services to help Canadians get the education, training and skills they need.
- Scholarships.gc.ca: available opportunities for Canadians to study and research abroad and for non-Canadians studying in Canada.
- Paying for post-secondary education: detailed financial advice, tips and tools.
Working while learning
Internships, co-operative education and apprenticeships can be great options to gain valuable work experience while studying. Sometimes you can even get paid for this work experience. The Government of Canada also offers a number of grants and initiatives to help post-secondary students gain work experience while financially supporting themselves during their studies.
Need help in your job search? Here are useful tips and videos to guide you through every stage of the process of finding a job.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: