Indigenous Heritage — Museums Assistance Program
Status: The application period is open and closes December 22, 2021.
The Indigenous Heritage component of the Museums Assistance Program (MAP) provides funding for projects related to the preservation, management and presentation of Indigenous cultural heritage in Canada.
Who can apply
Applicants must meet the criteria in one of three categories:
- Indigenous governing bodies or organizations with a mandate to preserve and support Indigenous heritage.
- Museums associations and incorporated non-profit Canadian service organizations, whose membership relates to the museum sector, which:
- provide services to the public year-round;
- employ the equivalent of one full-time paid professional staff;
- have a current three to five-year strategic/business plan.
- Incorporated non-profit Canadian museums* which:
- provide services to the public year-round
- employ the equivalent of one full-time paid professional staff
- have policies for key museum functions
- have a current three to five-year strategic/business plan
*Incorporated non-profit Canadian museum applicants that are governed by a provincial or municipal government or by an academic or cultural institution can apply to MAP, as long as their principal mandate is linked to heritage. They must also have distinct objectives, programs and budgets related to heritage. Federal departments, Crown corporations and agencies are not eligible for MAP funding.
Funding priority is given to projects submitted by Indigenous organizations and conducted for the benefit of Indigenous communities. Applications submitted by other heritage organizations are considered when a partnership with an Indigenous heritage group is demonstrated.
How to apply
- review the Guidelines for 2022-2023;
- contact the nearest regional office of the Department of Canadian Heritage to discuss their project
- complete an application through the Canadian Heritage Funding Portal.
December 22, 2021 at 5 p.m. EST
For further information please contact the nearest regional office of the Department of Canadian Heritage.
Department of Canadian Heritage
Museums Assistance Program
25 Eddy Street, 9th Floor, (25-9-N)
Gatineau, Quebec K1A 0M5
- 1-888-997-3123 (toll-free)
Agents are available to answer your questions Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (ET).
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: