Indigenous Heritage — Museums Assistance Program
The Indigenous Heritage component will be accessible on the Canadian Heritage Funding Portal from September 5th to November 1st, 2023 at 5 p.m. Eastern Time.
The Indigenous Heritage component of the Museums Assistance Program (MAP) provides funding for projects related to the preservation, management, and presentation of Indigenous cultural heritage in Canada.
Who can apply
Applicants must meet the criteria in one of three categories:
- Indigenous governing bodies or organizations with a mandate to preserve and support Indigenous heritage.
- Museums associations and incorporated non-profit Canadian service organizations, whose membership relates to the museum sector, which:
- provide services to the public year-round;
- employ the equivalent of one full-time paid professional staff;
- have a current three to five-year strategic/business plan.
- Incorporated non-profit Canadian museumsFootnote 1 which:
- provide services to the public year-round
- employ the equivalent of one full-time paid professional staff
- have policies for key museum functions
- have a current three to five-year strategic/business plan
Funding priority is given to projects submitted by Indigenous organizations and conducted for the benefit of Indigenous communities. Applications submitted by other heritage organizations are considered when a partnership with an Indigenous heritage group is demonstrated.
How to apply
- review the Application Guidelines – Indigenous Heritage;
- contact the nearest regional office of the Department of Canadian Heritage to discuss their project
- complete an application through the Canadian Heritage Funding Portal.
November 1, 2023 at 5 p.m. Eastern Time
Under exceptional circumstances and pending the availability of funds, applications may be considered outside the regular funding cycle. Please contact the nearest regional office of the Department of Canadian Heritage for further information.
For further information please contact the nearest regional office of the Department of Canadian Heritage.
Department of Canadian Heritage
Museums Assistance Program
25 Eddy St, 9th floor, (25-9-N)
Gatineau QC J8X 4B5
- 1-888-997-3123 (toll-free)
Agents are available to answer your questions Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (ET).
Guides and help
- Application Guidelines – Indigenous Heritage
- Forms – Indigenous Heritage
- Service standards for Canadian Heritage funding programs
- Guide on the public acknowledgement of financial support - Canadian Heritage
Related services and information
- Museums Assistance Program
- Digital Access to Heritage – Museums Assistance Program
- Access to Heritage — Museums Assistance Program
- Exhibition Circulation Fund — Museums Assistance Program
- Collections Management — Museums Assistance Program
- Canada-France Agreement — Museums Assistance Program
- Evaluation of the Museums Assistance Program 2013-14 to 2017-18
- Date modified: