Transfer for Cold Lake Air Weapons Range
- National Defence is taking concrete steps to ensure we are living up to the spirit and intent of treaties, agreements, and other constructive arrangements made with Indigenous Peoples.
- In 2019, the Cold Lake First Nation requested funding from National Defence to support their participation in the review of the Cold Lake Air Weapons Range Access Agreement.
- National Defence is pleased to provide these funds to the Cold Lake First Nation by transferring $100,000 to Crown and Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada.
- These funds will be used to support the transportation of Cold Lake First Nation, and will cover professional services such as legal fees, to ensure a thorough review of the agreement.
- National Defence will continue to build on the progress we have made and look for ways to support the meaningful consultation and the self-determination of Indigenous Peoples.
- Of the funds provided to the Cold Lake First Nation:
- $95,000 will be used to assist with professional and special services such as the legal fees incurred in the review process.
- $5,000 will be used to cover the transportation costs for the First Nation representatives to attend the meetings held in Ottawa and Cold Lake.
- National Defence controls access to the Cold Lake Air Weapons Range, located along the border of Alberta and Saskatchewan. Cold Lake First Nation (CLFN) has Access Agreements with National Defence, Saskatchewan, and Alberta.
- A review of their Access Agreements should take place every five years. In 2018, CLFN approached DND to undertake the review of their Access Agreements.
- A kick-off meeting occurred in 2019 with CLFN’s Chief and Council and National Defence officials to discuss the process to undertake the review.
- Following this meeting, the Cold Lake First Nation approached the Department of National Defence to request funding to assist with the review of the Cold Lake Air Weapons Range Access Agreement.
Version 5; 2020-02-20 – Source: Director Budget draft tab
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: