Apply for Severe Permanent Disability Benefit
Please read our latest notice:
If you have a severe permanent disability that prevents you from participating in post-secondary studies and the labour force for the rest of your life, you may be able to have your student loans cancelled through the Severe Permanent Disability Benefit.
Enrolment is not automatic - you must apply for the Severe Permanent Disability Benefit. Under this benefit, you would not be eligible to receive any additional Canada Student Loans or Canada Student Grants.
Note: The Repayment Assistance Plan for Borrowers with a Permanent Disability is also available to Student Loan borrowers who have a permanent disability.
What is a severe permanent disability?
According to the Canada Student Financial Assistance Regulations, a “severe permanent disability” means a functional limitation caused by a physical or mental impairment that:
- prevents a borrower from performing the daily activities necessary to participate in studies at a post-secondary school level and in the labour force; and
- is expected to remain with the person for their expected life.
Contact the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC) at 1-888-815-4514 and request to have your call forwarded to the Canada Student Loans Program (CSLP) to find out if you are eligible to apply for this benefit. TTY service is available (819-994-1218 or toll-free 1-866-667-8554).
You may be eligible for the Severe Permanent Disability Benefit if:
- you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (for Ontario student loans to be considered for the Severe Permanent Disability Benefit, you must reside in Canada);
- you have a severe permanent disability that prevents you from working and participating in post-secondary school studies on a full- or part-time basis; and
- your severe permanent disability is expected to prevent you from performing these activities for the rest of your life.
Information you need before you start
If you are acting on behalf of an applicant, you must provide proof of authorization to represent that person (e.g. power of attorney, trustee or guardian appointment).
If you have Canada Student Loans and student loans from Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador or Saskatchewan, you only need to fill out one application to have both your Canada Student Loans and provincial loans assessed for cancellation. If you have student loans from another province or territory, contact the student financial assistance office for that province or territory to find out about their repayment assistance programs.
Note: The CSLP does not reimburse any fee that may be charged to you by your physician or nurse practitioner to complete the Medical Report form.
- download, complete, sign, date and print the Severe Permanent Disability Benefit Application (672 KB);
- have a licensed physician or nurse practitioner complete, sign and date the Medical Report – SPDB (650 KB) form;
- mail both the original, completed, and signed Severe Permanent Disability Benefit Application and Medical Report along with any supporting documentation to the CSLP at the following address:
- Canada Student Loans Program
P.O. Box 2090, Station D
Ottawa ON K1P 6C6
- Canada Student Loans Program
Note: Your licensed physician or nurse practitioner may mail the original completed and signed Medical Report along with any supporting documentation to the CSLP on your behalf.
If you have any questions while completing the application form, contact the NSLSC and request to have your call forwarded to the CSLP. TTY service is available.
If you require a large print version of this form, please contact the NSLSC.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: