Hire a temporary worker as an in-home caregiver: Apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment
Please read our latest notices:
5. Apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment
Employers who want to hire a temporary foreign worker (TFW) must submit the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) application along with all the required supporting documentation to Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)/Service Canada.
In essence, employers are applying for an opinion on the impact that hiring a TFW would have on Canada's job market. As a result, it is important that employers follow all the necessary steps and submit all of the required documentation.
How to apply
Employers must follow the step-by-step checklist to ensure that all the documents required are submitted.
Complete, sign (where applicable) and submit the following documents:
- LMIA Application form for in-home caregiver positions (EMP5628)
- Schedule I - In-home caregiver employment contract (EMP5604)
- Proof of business legitimacy
- Proof of advertisements
- Proof of individual requiring care
For positions located anywhere in Canada (excluding Quebec), employers must send all documentation to the Service Canada Centre responsible for processing in-home caregivers applications.
A complete application means that employers have:
- used the latest version of the application version
- filled out all of the fields in all of the necessary forms
- included all of the required documentation
- signed the forms where required
- submitted the fee payment, if applicable, with the application
If an application is submitted and it is not complete, Service Canada staff will inform the employer that the application will not be processed. Incomplete applications and supporting documents submitted with the application will not be retained or returned to the employer. As a result, employers are advised to submit copies, not original documents.
For positions located in Quebec
For positions located in Quebec, employers must send all documents to the Service Canada Centre responsible for processing in-home caregiver applications as well as through the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI). The LMIA applications for in-home caregiver positions can be submitted in either language English or French.
How to apply
To hire a TFW under the regular LMIA process, employers must follow these steps:
- Complete, sign (where applicable) and submit the appropriate application to the Service Canada Processing Centre:
- Submit to the MIFI a copy of the LMIA Application form that was sent to ESDC/Service Canada, and submit the following documents:
- Self-declaration by the employer – For temporary work
- Payment of LMIA processing fees (French only) levied by the government of Quebec (available in French only)
- Completed and signed the MIFI form for Quebec Certificate of Acceptation (QCA) for Temporary work and all relevant documents
- Payment of QCA processing fees (French only) levied by the Government of Quebec
- Submit application to MIFI
For more information, contact the MIFI.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: