Hire a top foreign talent through the Global Talent Stream
The Global Talent Stream offers timely, responsive and predictable client-focused service to help you access highly-skilled global talent to expand your workforce here in Canada and to be competitive on a global scale. This two-year pilot falls under the Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) Program. Launched on June 12, 2017, it is designed for innovative firms in Canada that are referred to Employment and Social Development Canada by a designated referral partner and that need unique and specialized foreign nationals in order to scale-up and grow. It is also intended for firms in Canada that need to fill an in-demand highly-skilled position on the Global Talent Occupations List.
As an employer seeking to hire highly-skilled global talent under this Stream, you will be making lasting, positive benefits to the Canadian labour market and the economy by creating jobs and investing in training and skills development for Canadians and permanent residents.
Check the Program requirements for the Global Talent Stream to see how you can benefit from this new Stream under Categories A and B.
Application process in the province of Quebec
Immigration being a shared responsibility between the Federal Government and the province of Quebec, the implementation of this pilot in Quebec requires special measures for which both Governments are working closely to operationalize as quickly as possible.
It is important that companies from Quebec can take full advantage of this initiative as soon as possible. Details on how Quebec companies can apply to the Global Talent Stream will be made available in the near future.
For further information, employers from Quebec are also invited to consult Quebec’s Ministry of Immigration, Diversity and Inclusion website (French only).
Before you apply
- understand the various streams for hiring temporary foreign workers
- ensure that you know the Global Talent Stream
- verify that you also meet broader Temporary Foreign Worker Program requirements:
How to apply
Complete, sign and send your application form along with all required documentation and the processing fee:
- via the Data Gateway web portal (only available for Global Talent Stream applications)
- to get a Data Gateway account to submit your application, contact the Employer Contact Centre at 1-800-367-5693
- by fax (Toll Free number: 1-844-365-9665, Outside Canada/US: 819-953-9898); or
- by mail to:
- Global Talent Stream
- c/o ESDC/EDSC
- 140 Promenade du Portage
- Phase IV
- Gatineau, QC K1A 0J9
Consult the Global Talent Stream Applicant Guide which provides details to assist you in completing your application.
For additional assistance with your application, contact the Employer Contact Centre at 1-800-367-5693.
The Global Talent Stream application package must include:
A complete application means that you have:
- completed all fields in all required forms
- included all required supporting documentation
- signed all forms, where required
- submitted the processing fee payment with the application
After you apply
A new dedicated team at Employment and Social Development Canada will provide all Global Talent Stream employers with streamlined, client focused service including:
- Faster processing of your Global Talent Stream applications with a service standard of 10-business days starting on the business day after the application has been received by Employment and Social Development Canada – this service standard is expected to be met 80% of the time
- Personalized, high-touch assistance throughout the assessment process; and
- Eligibility for your highly-skilled global talent workers to have their work permits processed in two weeks by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada
Cancel a job offer
If you no longer require the service of the temporary foreign worker or decide to cancel your job offer, prior to the entry of the temporary foreign worker, it is important that you let the Employer Contact Center at 1-800-367-5693 and the temporary foreign worker know. However, the Global Talent Stream application processing fee will not be reimbursed.
End of employment contract
If a temporary foreign worker cannot be located or does not show up for departure from Canada at the end of the employment contract, you must:
- make reasonable efforts to reach the worker
- notify the Canada Border Services Agency and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
You must keep all documents used to support your application for a minimum of six years beginning on the temporary foreign worker’s first day of work. We may request these documents at any time to verify your past compliance with the Program conditions.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: