Cannabis market data
Health Canada collects data on cannabis under the Cannabis Tracking System Ministerial Order. The Order and the Cannabis Act came into force on October 17, 2018. Data collected by Health Canada under the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations (ACMPR) is available in archived format. Additional cannabis data is available on the Cannabis research and data page.
Data collected is for these types of cannabis in the legal industry:
- dried cannabis
- cannabis oil
- cannabis plants
- cannabis seeds
Data for all categories includes:
- medical sales
- non-medical sales
- finished inventory
- unfinished inventory
- cultivation area
Figures provided in this update reflect the data reported through the Cannabis Tracking System. Verification and validation of this data is ongoing. As such, the data is subject to revision.
- Total sales of dried cannabis increased from 21,616 kilograms between January and March 31, 2019 to 28,374 kilograms between April 1 and June 30, 2019. Likewise, cannabis oil sales increased from 23,134 litres to 27,632 litres during the same period.
- Finished production (quantity packaged) of dried cannabis increased from 35,258 kilograms between January and March 31, 2019 to 52,765 kilograms between April 1 and June 30, 2019. Similarly, finished production of cannabis oil increased from 45,853 litres to 53,273 litres during the same period.
- Total inventory of finished dried cannabis (packaged and labelled) held by cultivators, processors, distributors and retailers increased from 30,746 kilograms at the end of March 2019 to 48,918 kilograms at the end of June 2019. Inventory of finished cannabis oil increased from 66,445 litres at the end of March 2019 to 98,123 litres at the end of June 2019.
- Active cultivation area increased from 698,224 square metres in March 2019 to 1,551,440 square metres in June 2019.
- Unfinished inventory of plants held by federal licence holders increased from 3,798,357 in March 2019 to 5,379,725 at the end of June 2019.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: