Cannabis market data
Health Canada collects data on cannabis under the Cannabis Tracking System Ministerial Order. The Order and the Cannabis Act came into force on October 17, 2018. Data collected by Health Canada under the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations (ACMPR) is available in archived format. Additional cannabis data is available on the Cannabis research and data page.
Data collected is for these types of cannabis in the legal industry:
- dried cannabis
- cannabis oil
- cannabis plants
- cannabis seeds
Data for all categories includes:
- medical sales
- non-medical sales
- finished inventory
- unfinished inventory
- cultivation area
Figures provided in this update reflect the data reported through the Cannabis Tracking System. Verification and validation of this data is ongoing. As such, the data is subject to revision.
Upcoming changes to the website:
- As part of its continuous effort to improve access to data, Health Canada will be reformatting the market data webpages for the release of October data. Changes will align with the new Cannabis Tracking System Order reporting requirements, which came into force on October 17, 2019.
- In concert with these changes, Health Canada will be discontinuing the Cannabis Demand and Supply Bulletin and will begin providing monthly updates to the reformatted cannabis market data webpages starting with the publication of October 2019 data, expected to take place in December 2019.
For the July to September, 2019 reporting period:
- Total sales of dried cannabis increased from 28,394 kilograms between April and June 30, 2019 to 37,588 kilograms between July 1 and September 30, 2019. Likewise, cannabis oil sales increased from 27,692 litres to 32,032 litres during the same period.
- Finished production (quantity packaged) of dried cannabis increased from 52,776 kilograms between April and June 30, 2019 to 57,952 kilograms between July 1 and September 30, 2019. Finished production of cannabis oil decreased from 53,273 litres to 40,685 litres during the same period.
- Total inventory of finished dried cannabis (packaged and labelled) held by cultivators, processors, distributors and retailers increased from 49,018 kilograms at the end of June 2019 to 64,151 kilograms at the end of September 2019. Inventory of finished cannabis oil increased from 98,116 litres at the end of June 2019 to 102,060 litres at the end of September 2019.
- Active cultivation area increased from 1,537,774 square metres in June 2019 to 1,781,106 square metres in September 2019.
- Unfinished inventory of plants held by federal licence holders decreased from 5,379,472 in June 2019 to 4,944,695 at the end of September 2019.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: