Cannabis market data: Overview
Data collected is for these types of cannabis in the legal industry:
- dried cannabis
- edible cannabis
- cannabis extracts
- cannabis topicals
- cannabis plants
- cannabis seeds
Data for all categories includes:
- medical sales
- non-medical sales
- packaged inventory (formerly finished inventory)
- unpackaged inventory (formerly unfinished inventory)
- licensed area
Definitions of terms appear at the start of each data page.
Figures given in this update reflect the data reported through the Cannabis Tracking System.
For the October 2020 reporting period:
- In total, 10,312,899 packaged units of cannabis were sold across Canada for medical and non-medical purposes.
- Dried cannabis sales represent 68% of total sales, with 6,989,846 packaged units sold.
- Edible cannabis sales represent 17% of total sales, with 1,730,964 packaged units sold.
- Cannabis extracts sales represent 15% of total sales, with 1,577,609 packaged units sold.
- Nationally, 50,377,407 packaged units of cannabis products were held in inventory by cultivators, processors, distributors and retailers.
- Distributors and retailers hold 38% of the total inventory of packaged units of cannabis products.
- The total inventory of packaged units of dried cannabis held by cultivators, processors, distributors and retailers represents 4.0 times total sales. Likewise, total inventory of packaged units of edible cannabis and cannabis extracts represent 7.3 and 6.2 times total sales respectively.
- Licensed indoor and outdoor cultivation area held by licence holders stood at 2,040,093 m2 and 576 hectares (5,760,000 m2).
- The number of unpackaged plants held by federal licence holders stood at 5,623,853 at the end of October 2020.
Health Canada collects data on cannabis under the Cannabis Tracking System Ministerial Order. The Order came into force on October 17, 2019.
Data collected by Health Canada under the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations (ACMPR) is available in archived format.
Additional cannabis data is available on the Cannabis research and data page.
While we strive to add updates within 2 months of each reporting period, verification and validation of this data is ongoing. As a result, the data is subject to revision.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: