Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker Pilot: Making a final decision

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

On this page

Occupation-restricted open work permit (Category A – Gaining experience)

Making a decision

On a positive eligibility decision (before the admissibility checks are complete), the “Stage 1 – eligibility passed” letter will be sent to the client. The date of this letter will be used to calculate the deadline for submitting proof of experience for cases where the applicant does not take the necessary steps to obtain the OROWP.

Given that they submitted a complete Application for work permit made outside Canada [IMM 1295] (PDF, 573 KB) or an Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker [IMM 5710] (PDF, 584 KB) with their application for permanent residence, Category A applicants will be issued an occupation-restricted open work permit (OROWP) if they meet the following requirements (positive stage 1 decision):

Accompanying family members will also be issued open work permits or study permits, if they have applied for these. Pre-school children can also be issued temporary resident visas and visitor records.

On a positive stage 1 decision (including admissibility), the officer must

Note: in certain situations, a client may not follow through with requests related to the OROWP, such as the passport request letter (for example, if the client is already working in Canada on a different work permit). It is therefore possible for the OROWP to be refused for non-compliance (for more details, refer to the specific guidance on OROWP processing), or that it is never printed (should the client fail to present their letter of introduction at a port of entry).

In this case, the PR application will still remain on hold and a final decision can be made 36 months from the date of the initial Stage 1 – eligibility passed letter. If the applicant does not provide proof of eligible work experience within this time period (i.e. within 36 months of the issuance date of the initial Stage 1 – eligibility passed letter), the PR application can be refused. This is based on the conditions set out in section 2.1 of the MIs.

On a negative stage 1 decision

For work permits applications made outside Canada, the officer

For work permits applications made in Canada, the officer

Note: For negative decisions, the same procedure applies to accompanying family members who submitted a work permit, study permit, temporary resident visa application or visitor record extension with the application for permanent residence. For example, if the principal applicant is in Canada and the accompanying family members are overseas, the officer would refuse the work permit application for the principal applicant, and cancel and refund all overseas temporary resident applications.

After the issuance of the Occupation-restricted open work permit

To continue to be eligible under Category A in the Home Child Care Provider or Home Support Worker pilot, the applicant must

Once IRCC receives the applicant’s proof of work experience and Schedule 19B (IMM 5910), the officer must put the permanent residence application back into process. The officer assesses the work experience and makes a final decision on the permanent resident application.

If the proof of work experience is received before the issuance of the OROWP, refer to the procedures found in Selection criteria – exemption from Category A-offer of employment assessment.

Bridging open work permit (Category A & B)

To obtain a bridging open work permit (BOWP), applicants can apply online. As of August 17, 2021, they should submit the BOWP application if they have completed the 12 months experience and have received their approval-in-principle letter (issued after eligibility is passed, including work experience), or at any time after (previously, it may have been included within the APR).

Additional processing information can be found under the caregivers’ BOWP Program Delivery Instructions.

Permanent resident application: Making a final decision

An officer will make a final decision once the applicant has been assessed on all eligibility requirements and admissibility requirements. This includes the work experience eligibility requirement.

Approving the application

To finalize the case, the processing office does the following:

The remainder of the process is completed by an IRCC local office, which does the following:

Process at a migration office

Upon notification from the IRCC local office that the principal applicant has been granted permanent residence, the migration office responsible for any accompanying overseas family members should

See also Roles and responsibilities of offices processing in Canada applications for permanent residence.

Refusing the application

Note: The section below refers to the permanent residence application; for Category A (Gaining experience) applications refused at Stage 1 (before issuance of the OROWP), officers must also follow the procedures above for dealing with the OROWP and any temporary residence applications from the family members.

When a case is refused, the CPC does the following:

If the file has been sent to a migration office overseas for assessing the dependants, the migration office

Note: The migration office does not inform family members of the final disposition of the case and does not send a refusal letter. Rather, the CPC (or the IRCC inland office) is responsible for notifying the principal applicant and sending the appropriate letter.

Note: the above process applies only in the context of dependants’ assessments. If the file has been transferred in full to the migration office, this office would follow the above refusal procedure as a processing office.

Learn more

Page details

Date modified: