Electronic travel authorization (eTA): About the process
How COVID-19 is affecting applications to visit, work or study in Canada
If you meet the criteria for the travel exemptions, and you want to apply to come to Canada, there are changes to the application process. Learn more.
You can travel to Canada only if you are exempt from the travel restrictions and are coming for an essential purpose.
Usually within minutes, but up to several days
If you’re visa-required and eligible for an eTA, but already have a valid Canadian visa you don’t need to apply for an eTA. You can travel with your visa until it expires.
The eTA application process
Applying for an eTA is a simple online process. You should apply for an eTA before you book your flight.
- Get your passport, credit or debit card ready, and read the application help document, which is available in several languages.
- Use the online form to apply.
- Pay $7 CAD for your eTA right after you complete the form.
- Get an email about your eTA application.
- Most applications are approved within minutes but some can take longer.
- You may need to submit additional documents before your application can be approved.
- If this happens to you, an email will be sent with instructions within 72 hours.
How long it takes to get an eTA
It’s best to get an eTA before you book your flight to Canada.
- Most applicants get their eTA approval (via an email) within minutes.
- However, some requests can take several days to process if you're asked to submit supporting documents.
Confirm your passport number is correct
Once your eTA is approved, check that the passport number in your eTA approval email matches the number in your passport. If they don’t match, you need to apply for a new eTA.
What to bring to the airport
When we approve your eTA, it will be linked to the passport you used to apply. You need to present this passport when you check-in to your flight to Canada. You don’t need to print out any special document.
The airline staff will scan your passport to confirm that you have a valid eTA. If you don’t have one, you won’t be able to board your flight.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: