The test result and next steps
On this page
Your test result
Once you submit the test, the result page will immediately display your score. You need to get at least 15 out of 20 questions correct to pass the test.
This score is
- not your official test result
Your test result may be invalid if
- we find or suspect cheating
- you didn’t take a photo of your personal identification (ID)
- a technical issue prevents us from confirming your identity
- For example, if we cannot see you through your webcam.
In the upcoming months, we’ll
- review and confirm your official test result
- contact you with your next steps
Print or email your test result
At the bottom of the test result page, there are buttons to print and email the result. You should print or email the result for your records. You can’t sign in to view your results again.
Emailing the test result to yourself
After you click the “Email” button, a disclaimer will appear on your screen. You need to agree to the disclaimer to get your test result by email.
We’ll email the result to your or your representative’s email address. This is the same email that you provided to us
- on your citizenship application form
- most recently through the Web form or call centre, or
- if you changed the email address to get the test link
After the test
If you pass the test
You may have to do an interview with a citizenship officer.
- If you do, we’ll contact and schedule you for an interview.
- If you do not have to do an interview, please wait for us to invite you to your citizenship ceremony.
What if you don’t pass the test?
If you fail the test for the
- first time, we’ll invite you to take the test for a second time
- second time, we’ll invite you to
- a hearing with a citizenship officer (wait for us to email you)
- take the citizenship test orally at the hearing (your third attempt)
- third time, we may refuse your application
- If you still want to become a Canadian citizen, you will have to re-apply.
What to do if you don’t pass the test due a technical issue or emergency
If you missed the test
You need to take the test within 21 days from the day you receive the invitation.
If you miss the test
- email the office that sent you the test invitation to provide a reasonable explanation (the email is in the Rescheduling section of your invitation)
- we may reschedule you for another test (it depends on your explanation)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: