Apply for a special or diplomatic passport – adults

Special or diplomatic passports tell international border officials that you are travelling on official business and you are representing Canada. These passports are to be used only when travelling on official government business.

This section contains information for representatives of the Government of Canada, and people travelling on Government of Canada-related business.

Services and information

Determine your eligibility

Terms of use and who can apply or renew a diplomatic or special passport

Find out if you need a visa

Visa requirements and how to apply for a visa when travelling on official government business

How to apply for a special or diplomatic passport

Application forms, a list of documents you need to provide with your application form and application fees

Return your passport after travel

How to return your passport after a trip and how to get your passport for an upcoming official business trip


Clients from the Department of National Defence or Canadian Armed Forces

Find out what documents Department of National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces applicants need to submit when applying for an official passport.

Additional documents if you are being posted abroad

Are you being posted abroad? Find out which additional documents you need to provide with your application.

Get help with your application

Find answers to your questions about official travel, applying for a diplomatic or special passport, renewal, and safekeeping.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Privacy statement

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: