Immigration process — Intercountry adoption: How to apply

Adoptions are the responsibility of the provinces and territories in Canada. You should contact your provincial or territorial adoption authority for information on eligibility to adopt and the accompanying requirements that must be met, but first you should read all of the information in this section to know what to expect.

Once the adoption process is in progress and you have received a Letter of No Objection from the province or territory, you can apply to sponsor your child. After that, you can apply for a permanent resident visa for your child to come to Canada.

You may apply for citizenship for the child after he or she has arrived in Canada and has permanent resident status. However, the adoption must be finalized before citizenship can be granted.

Sponsoring your adopted child

When filling out the sponsorship forms, you may leave the name of the child blank if you have not yet been matched with a child.

When you apply to sponsor a child for adoption, remember that you are committing yourself to provide the necessary care and support for that child. You are bound to this agreement for 10 years or until the child reaches the age of 25—whichever comes first.

If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec immigration sponsorship requirements.

Sponsorship application process

There are 3 steps in the application process:

1. Get the application package

You can now apply online

We’re testing a new online immigration application. You can use it to apply(opens in a new tab) 

Download and print the application package. It includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out.

Read the guide carefully before you complete the application forms. You may be able to sponsor a child as soon as you decide to adopt, if you know the country from which you plan to adopt. Please consult your provincial or territorial adoption authority before applying.

Use the guide to help you complete the forms, and be sure to provide the required documents. If information or documents are missing, your application may be delayed.

By completing the sponsorship forms, you are signing an agreement that commits you to supporting your adopted child for a specific period of time.

2. Pay your application fees

You have to pay your fees online(opens in a new tab)

3. Submit your application

Mail your completed application forms, supporting documents and fee receipts to the right address.

We’ll return your application without processing it if it’s not signed or you don’t include a receipt for the correct amount of fees.

Apply for permanent resident status for your adopted child

If your application for sponsorship is accepted, we’ll inform the Canadian visa office that has jurisdiction over the child’s home country and send you an application for permanent residence.

You can either fill out this application form on the child’s behalf or send it to the child’s guardian to do so. The completed application form must be sent back to that Canadian visa office.

Use the application package to help you complete your application.

When your child’s application is sent to the visa office, it will be reviewed to verify that the child meets the immigration requirements. If the adopted child is not an infant, the visa officer may have to interview the child to make a decision.

You must ensure that the visa officer has all the information needed to make a decision. Your quick response to requests for more information will help avoid unnecessary delays.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: