Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Immigration applicants 

We recognize that the travel restrictions for those who are outside the US will have an impact on many people who can’t travel to Canada right now. These restrictions stop all non-essentialFootnote 1 (discretionary) travel to Canada.

Travelling to Canada: health check and quarantine

If you’re travelling by air, you need to pass a health check conducted by airlines before you’re allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada by air.

When you arrive in Canada, we’ll assess your health before you leave the port of entry. You must have a plan to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada. This is mandatory, even if you have no symptoms. If you don’t have a plan, you should not travel to Canada.

Only people who provide essential services, for example, truck drivers who regularly cross the border to maintain the flow of goods, are exempt from the quarantine requirements.

Last updated: May 15, 2020

On this page:

If you haven’t applied to immigrate to Canada yet

We’re still accepting most permanent resident applications. Unfortunately, our ability to review and process them is being affected by COVID-19. We can’t currently estimate any processing times.

We’re currently focusing on priority applications like

We’re trying to process those as quickly as possible.

If you apply, you still need to submit a complete application. This means you must include all the supporting documents we ask for. If you can’t get some of these documents right now, you should wait to apply until you can get them.

If you already applied for a document but it’s delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you can send proof that you’re trying to get it (like a receipt). Include a letter to tell us why you don’t have the document and when you’ll get it. Send us the document as soon as you have it to avoid more delays.

If we already approved your permanent resident application

Permanent residence applications approved on or before March 18, 2020

If we approved your application on or before March 18, 2020, but you haven’t travelled to Canada yet, you’re exempt from the travel restriction measures.

In-person landing appointments cancelled

We cancelled all in-person permanent resident landing appointments until further notice. Currently, we’re finalizing applications based on the documents you submitted with your application. In some cases, we may need to contact you by telephone before we can finalize your application.

We’ll contact you by email if we need more information. Use the Web form if you need to update your contact information. Finalizing applications may take longer than usual during this time.

Approved permanent resident applicants with expired or expiring documents

If we already approved your permanent resident application but you can't travel to Canada before your documents expire, use the Web form to tell us why you can’t travel.

Once it’s possible for you to travel, use the Web form to let us know so we can tell you what to do next.

Permanent residence applications that we’re still processing

Due to the impacts of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), we can’t

We’re prioritizing some applications, including

No application in progress will be closed or refused because of documents missing due to COVID-19. We’ll automatically give you 90 days to complete these steps. Once you’re able to, complete the steps as soon as possible to avoid delays.

Some steps you may not be able to complete right now include

COVID-19: Biometrics deadline

Some biometrics collection sites are closed. If the site closest to you is closed, we’ll extend your deadline to give your biometrics. Find out how COVID-19 is affecting biometrics.

Biometrics at Service Canada locations

To keep everyone safe, Service Canada has temporarily stopped collecting biometrics until further notice.

Language testing organizations

Some language testing organizations have started scheduling tests again.

You may be able to take a language test depending on the:

Language tests we accept:

Make sure you check the latest information about testing in your region.


Find more information about language testing.

To withdraw your application

If you’re affected by the travel restrictions and want to withdraw your permanent residence application, use the Web form to let us know.

We’ll give you a refund if

How financial benefits affect family sponsorship

If you collect the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), you’re still eligible to sponsor your spouse, parent, grandparent, child or other relative as long as you meet all the requirements to be a sponsor.

CERB isn’t considered social assistance. Collecting CERB won’t make you ineligible to sponsor.

EI and CERB won’t cause you to default

If the person you sponsored collects Employment Insurance (EI) or the CERB during the undertaking period, it will not cause you to default.

However, if the person you sponsored collects social assistance during the undertaking period, you have to repay the amount. If you don’t, you’ll be in default of your undertaking.

COVID-19 information in multiple languages

The Public Health Agency of Canada website has resources in multiple languages to help you understand COVID-19. These include

  • factsheets
  • videos
  • recordings
  • infographics

You can find the languages of each resource under its description.

Please take a few moments to rate your experience with this page.

Updates and related links

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: