Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot: After you apply

After you apply


If you have to give biometrics, we send you a biometric instruction letter (BIL) which will direct you to a list of biometric collection service points you may choose from.

You must bring the BIL with you to the biometric collection service point to give your biometrics.

Processing your application

An immigration officer will make sure that you:

If your application isn’t complete, it won’t be processed and will be sent back to you.

Your application will be delayed if:

You can check the status of your application online after we’ve started processing your application.

While your application is in process, you must tell us if you change your address or contact information.

Decision on your application

We make a decision on your application based on:

We’ll contact you if you need to send more documents.

If you’re approved for permanent residence

Confirmation of permanent residence

If we approve your application for permanent residence, we ask you to send your passport to the processing office so we can issue your permanent resident visa. This visa includes your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and, if you need one to enter Canada, an entry visa.

Your COPR will have information about who you are as well as your photograph. Check to make sure it’s correct. It should be the same as the information on your passport. If there is a mistake on your COPR, contact us.

If you’re already in Canada

When we approve your application for permanent residence, we’ll contact you and let you know what to do next. You’ll have to do a short interview with an immigration officer. You have 2 options for your interview:

During the interview, the officer will:

If you change your address within 180 days of completing your interview, you must tell us.

If you’re currently working in Canada

You may be eligible for a bridging open work permit (BOWP) if you are approved in principle for permanent residence.

If you’re eligible, this permit can let you keep working while you wait for a final decision on your permanent residence application.

You can apply for a BOWP with your permanent residence application but we won’t process your BOWP application until you’re approved in principle for permanent residence.

If you’re outside Canada

When you arrive in Canada, you’ll be greeted by a border services officer (BSO).

When you arrive, you must have:

The BSO will:

You won’t be allowed into Canada if you:

If you meet the requirements, the BSO will allow you to enter Canada as a permanent resident. They will also confirm your Canadian mailing address and have your permanent resident card mailed to you there.

If you change your address or contact information within 180 days of arriving in Canada, you must tell us.

If your permanent residence application is refused

If your application is refused, we send you a letter that tells you why.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: