Sponsor your parents and grandparents
You may be able to sponsor your parents and grandparents to become a permanent resident under the Family Class if you’re at least 18 years old and a:
- Canadian citizen or
- person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or
- permanent resident of Canada
If you sponsor your parents and grandparents to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must:
- support them financially when they arrive
- make sure they don’t need social assistance from the government
- provide for your own essential needs and those of your parents and grandparents
1. Find out if you’re eligible
Find out if you’re eligible to sponsor your parents and grandparents.
If you live in Quebec, you’ll need to meet Quebec immigration sponsorship requirements.
2. Tell us you want to sponsor
To sponsor your parents and grandparents, the first step is to tell us you want to apply. We’ll randomly select people and invite them to apply.
The online submission form to show your interest closed at noon on February 2, 2017. We are no longer accepting submissions.
3. We select potential sponsors
We review all submissions and remove any duplicates. Then we randomly select potential sponsors and invite them to submit an application.
For 2017, we aim to receive 10,000 complete applications.
4. Find out if you are selected
We email everyone who completes the online form to inform them if they are selected to apply or not.
If you’re invited to apply, you can fill out the forms and apply to sponsor your parents and grandparents.
6. Check processing times
Find out how long it will take us to process your application for family sponsorship.
7. After you apply: get next steps
Learn what happens after you apply for family sponsorship.
8. Prepare for arrival
Find out what you need to prepare for your family member’s arrival in Canada.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: