After you apply: get next steps to sponsor parents and grandparents

If you want to sponsor your parents and grandparents, you must tell us you want to apply by submitting your interest online. Make sure you are eligible as a sponsor before you submit this form.

The interest to sponsor form closed on February 1, 2018. Find out if you were selected.

Learn what happens after you submit your application to sponsor your parents or grandparents.

The application assessment process

We’ll review your sponsorship application at our Case Processing Centre in Mississauga, Ontario.

If we begin to process your application, we’ll:

  • send you an:
    • application number
    • acknowledgment of receipt
  • assess your eligibility as a sponsor
  • assess if the person you’re sponsoring is eligible for permanent residence

View current processing times to find out how long it will take us to process your application.

If we send back your application

If you submit a complete application, you’ll avoid processing delays. We’ll return your application to you if:

  • it’s incomplete
  • fees are missing
  • you weren’t randomly selected to submit an application
  • we don’t receive it within the deadline specified in your invitation

If you’re approved as a sponsor

If you’re approved as a sponsor, we’ll assess the eligibility of the person you want to sponsor.

If we refuse their permanent residence application, we’ll let you know:

  • why we refused it
  • how to appeal the decision

If we refuse you as a sponsor

If we refuse you as a sponsor, your relative can still apply for permanent residence. However, we don’t guarantee we’ll approve their application.

Check the status of your application

You can check the status of your application online.

You can contact us using our web form if:

  • the normal processing time for your application has passed and
  • you can’t check the status of your application online

Change in contact information or in personal circumstances

To avoid delays in processing, make sure your contact information and your application details are up to date.

Use our web form to tell us of changes in your application, such as:

  • marriage or divorce
  • birth or adoption of a child
  • death of an applicant or dependant
  • contact information updates, including:
    • email
    • phone number
    • mailing address

If you change your contact information, make sure you check your old contact information until we update your application.

Don’t mail us changes for your contact or application information. If you do, we won’t acknowledge your request and we won’t update your application. This could lead to a delay in processing your application.

Note: You will be able to have your sex marked as X (unspecified) on your documents. Until then, once you are in Canada, you can apply for a supporting document that says your sex should be X. Find out more.

Withdrawing your sponsorship application

You can withdraw your sponsorship application at any time before the relative you’re sponsoring becomes a permanent resident of Canada.

You may be able to get a refund if we haven’t started processing your application.

Use our web form to request the withdrawal of your sponsorship application.

In your request, include your:

  • full name
  • date of birth
  • country of birth
  • application number (if you know it)
  • relative’s Client ID Number (UCI) (if you know it)

Appoint or change a representative

To appoint or change a representative, send us a completed and signed Use of a Representative form (IMM5476) through our web form.

In your request, include your:

  • full name
  • date of birth
  • country of birth
  • application number (if you know it)
  • relative’s Client ID Number (UCI) (if you know it)

You can upload the form after you’ve completed all the required fields.

Submit your Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF) or request a refund

Use our web form if:

  • we instruct your relative to pay the RPRF or
  • you want a refund for the RPRF because:
    • you’re withdrawing your sponsorship
    • your parent or grandparent was refused (we can only issue refunds once you decline your right of appeal)

In your request, include the:

  • full name
  • date of birth
  • country of birth
  • application number (if you know it)
  • relative’s Client ID Number (UCI) (if you know it)
  • copy of the Official Receipt
  • copy of signed right of appeal (if you have one)

You can upload the Official Receipt after you’ve completed all the required fields.

Don’t send the same request more than once. It will delay the processing of your application.

Need help?

If you need help, you can find answers to your questions in the Help Centre.


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: