Apply to sponsor a parent and grandparent
If you’re invited to apply to sponsor your parents or grandparents, you must apply to become a sponsor and your parents or grandparents must apply for permanent residence.
- Send the sponsorship and the permanent residence applications together at the same time.
- Submit the applications before the deadline specified in your invitation.
There are 4 steps to apply to sponsor your parents or grandparents.
1. Receive an invitation to submit a complete application
To receive an invitation to submit a complete application:
- You must tell us you want to apply by submitting an online interest to sponsor form.
- this form is not an application
- the interest to sponsor form closed on February 1, 2018
- You must be randomly selected:
- after the online form closes, we review the submissions and remove any duplicates
- for 2018, we aim to receive 10,000 complete applications
You should wait to fill out the application package until you find out if you are invited to submit a complete application.
2. Get the application package
The application package includes the:
- document checklist
- forms you need to fill out
- guide and instructions to help you fill out the forms correctly
When submitting your applications:
- you’ll have to provide proof that you meet the minimum income requirements
- your parents and grandparents need to make every effort to become self-supporting
- your parents and grandparents’ dependent children (if any) must be included on their application
- you must sign an agreement that commits you to financially support your parents and grandparents. Find out for how long.
All of the information on your application must be true. You must list all your family members. The person you’re sponsoring must submit for each of their family members’:
- medical exams
- security checks
- criminality checks
If they don’t, your parents and grandparents won’t be able to sponsor those family members in the future.
You must tell us of any change in circumstances, such as:
- birth or adoption of children
- marriage or divorce
- death of an applicant or dependant
3. Pay your application fees
You must pay your application processing fees online. We don’t accept any other kind of payment.
Include your proof of payment with your application.
Use the pay your fees tool to see how much your fees will be and how to pay them online.
Right of permanent residence fee
The principal applicant must pay the right of permanent residence fee (RPRF) before we can grant permanent resident status.
You don’t need to include the RPRF with your sponsorship application. You can pay it later.
The RPRF doesn’t need to be paid by:
- dependent children of:
- the person you’re sponsoring
- a permanent resident or Canadian citizen
- protected persons and their family members
4. Submit your application
The mailing instructions are in the application guide.
You may use a courier service to submit your application, if you want to.
We only accept complete applications. We’ll return your application to you if:
- it’s incomplete
- fees are missing
- you weren’t randomly selected to submit an application
- we don’t receive it within the deadline specified in your invitation
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: