Get a permanent resident card

You need a valid permanent resident (PR) card to prove you’re a permanent resident when you return to Canada from another country.

If your card has expired or expires in the next 9 months, renew it before you travel.

If you need it urgently, check to see if you qualify.

If you’re outside Canada without a valid PR card, apply for a permanent resident travel document.

It might take longer than normal to process your application. This could delay your return to Canada.

Natural hazards across Canada

Special measures are in place to help those affected by the recent wildfires and floods, including free replacement of passports, citizenship certificates, PR cards and immigration documents.

Special measures for Canadian citizens or permanent residents in Iran or affected by the earthquakes in Syria and Türkiye

If you’re a Canadian citizen or permanent resident

  • currently in Iran, or
  • who was affected by the earthquakes in Syria and Türkiye

You can apply for the following documents for free:

  • Canadian passport
  • Canadian citizenship certificate
  • permanent resident travel document

Learn more about the special measures for

Services and information

Permanent resident status

How to get a PR card, permanent resident rights, losing or renouncing your permanent resident status

Apply for, renew or replace a PR card

Eligibility, application forms and how to apply for, replace or renew a PR card

Change your address

Submit or update your address to get your PR card

Correct a mistake

Eligibility, how to apply and why your name may be shortened

Get a PR photo

Photo size, what can and can’t be worn and who can take a photo

Permanent resident travel document

Eligibility and how to return to Canada without a valid PR card

Urgent processing

Eligibility, processing times and how to apply if you are inside or outside Canada

Check application status

Sponsorship, permanent resident and citizenship status by your identification number, name, date and place of birth

Record your trips outside Canada

Use the travel journal to record your trips outside Canada


Page details

Date modified: