Find out if you're eligible — International Experience Canada

Find out if you’re eligible

See eligibility by country and category.

Who can participate

To participate in International Experience Canada (IEC), your country or territory of citizenship must have a Youth Mobility Agreement (YMA) with Canada.

In some cases, certain IEC recognized organizations (RO) can help small numbers of youth from non-partner countries to participate in IEC. Learn more about working and travelling in Canada using an RO.

Some countries only allow you to participate once. Others allow you to participate twice, but in different categories. Because each country is different, it’s important that you check to see if you’re eligible to apply.

Even if you’re issued an invitation to apply, you can’t participate more times than your country allows. After you submit your application, an officer will assess your eligibility, including your past participations. Make sure you read and understand all the requirements before you submit an application.

Even if you hold a refugee travel document issued by a country that has a youth mobility agreement with Canada, you’re not eligible to participate.


Your dependants can’t come with you to Canada under the IEC program. However, they may apply to visit, study or work in Canada. We’ll look at your application separately from theirs.

Find out more about how dependants can come to Canada.

Page details

Date modified: