Military spouse and partner employment
Satisfying and rewarding job opportunities are important for a family’s financial well-being and for an individual’s morale and self-esteem.
Finding meaningful employment and continuity in a chosen occupation can be a challenge for the spouses and partners of military members who change locations throughout their career. That is why Military Family Services, working in collaboration with Military Family Resource Centres and community partners, provides resources to support military family members searching for employment in a new community.
As a spouse or partner, you can access a broad range of employment opportunities in the federal Public Service across Canada. To learn more, review the article entitled The Department of National Defence opens the Military Spouse Employment Initiative across the federal Public Service.
Are you looking for work? Check the CFMWS Job Seekers page for information about:
- the Military Spousal Employment Network(MSEN) which is an on-line hub that offers tools such as a job board and virtual career fairs with participating employers across Canada;
- the DND Military Spouse Employment Initiative (MSEI) which provides opportunities to gain work experience, develop and maintain skills as well as pursue careers within the federal Public Service;
- Online Career Developmentsessions;
- Employment opportunities with CFMWS
- Military Family Resource Centre (MFRC) Employment Services. To find information on employment resources specific to your community, go to the CFMWS website and ‘select your community’ at the top right hand side of the website page.
Differing accreditation standards among the provinces and territories challenge military families because they must plan for more frequent moves than the average Canadian household. To learn more about regulated occupations and professional licensing transfers within Canada, consult the Provincial Certification Must-Knows.
Expecting a new addition to your family? Review the EI – Extended parental benefit period for military families to understand your benefits under the Employment Insurance Act.
If you’re looking for assistance to re-enter the workforce, visit the Online Education and Training page.
If you are looking to build a business or take on a different entrepreneurial challenge, visit Helping Entrepreneurs Reach Complete Success (HERCS), an on-line training program designed to help you create a “portable” business that can move along with you at posting time.
If you are posted OUTCAN and your employment is affected, review the Employment insurance available to military families webpage to learn about benefits for which you may be eligible in Canada, the United States, or abroad.
Are you a surviving spouse of a CAF member? Did you know you have a Public Service entitlement when looking for work? Review the Relevant Employment Policies page.
As a Public Service manager, you may hire military spouses and partners under the Department of National Defence Military Spouse Employment Initiative. You may consider these candidates ahead of others with the exception of priority entitlements or preference so long as they meet all essential position qualifications. Learn more by consulting Military Spouse Employment Initiative: Hire a skilled military spouse for your team.
We are ready to help.
- Call us toll-free at 1-888-828-3626
- Submit a question or complaint through our secure online form
- Live chat with an agent 8 am to 5 pm ET Monday to Friday
- Book a phone call with an agent
- Email an agent for information or assistance
- Email for general office inquiries
- Email media relations
Office of the Ombudsman
100 Metcalfe Street 12th Floor
Thank you for your feedback
- Date modified: