Having a child: benefits and credits

Let the Canada Revenue Agency be a part of your wonderful adventure!

Are you becoming a parent in the next few months?

Welcoming a new family member is a joyous occasion, but it also means you need to learn about the many benefits and credits available to you.

Let us help you figure it all out, so you can welcome your child with a clear mind and focus on your new adventure.

Benefits and credits for your children

When you register your child's birth, you can use the Automated Benefits Application (ABA) to register for the following benefits and credits:

Canada child benefit

A tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help with the cost of raising children. You can receive up to $6,400 per year for each child under 6 years old, and $5,400 for each child from 6 to 17 years old.

GST/HST credit

A tax-free quarterly payment of up to $560 per year, made to modest-income families to get back some of the goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) they’ve paid. If you are eligible for the GST/HST credit and have children, you could also get up to $147 per year, for each child under 18 years old.

Related provincial and territorial programs

Find out about related programs that are available in your province or territory.

Child disability benefit

A tax-free benefit for families who care for a child under 18 who is eligible for the disability tax credit. The child disability benefit is paid monthly along with the Canada child benefit.

How do you apply?

When you register your child's birth with your province, you can use the Automated Benefits Application (ABA) to register your child for the above mentioned benefits and credits.


If you live in the Yukon or Nunavut, the ABA is not currently available. Instead, you can use the "Apply for child benefits" service in My Account or fill out Form RC66, Canada Child Benefits Application, and send it to your tax centre.

You only need to apply once to find out if you are eligible for benefit and credit payments. To continue getting them, you need to file your income tax and benefit return each year. The information from your return is used to calculate your benefit and credit payments, as well as any related provincial or territorial payments. To avoid delays, make sure you file your return on time each year. If you have a spouse or common-law partner, they also have to file their return each year.

For more information, go to Child and family benefits.

When you file your return, you could also be eligible for the following benefits and credits:


Child care expenses

If you or another person pays for child care expenses so that you can work, operate a business, attend school, or do research or similar work for which you have received a grant, you may be entitled to claim a child care expenses deduction.

EI maternity and parental benefits

If you can’t work because you are pregnant, have recently given birth, or are taking care of a newborn, you may be entitled to employment insurance maternity and parental benefits.

Other topics of interest

It is important to the Canada Revenue Agency that you're prepared for your child's arrival. With that in mind, here are a few topics to think about:

Page details

Date modified: