Are you missing a cheque or do you have an uncashed cheque from the Canada Revenue Agency?

There are many reasons Canadians may be missing a cheque, or have not cashed their cheque from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). For example, people might have moved and not updated their address, the recipient might have died or believed the payment was issued to them in error, or the cheque might have been lost, stolen.

What to do:

If you have an uncashed cheque

Cash your cheque as soon as possible, no need to worry if you have an old one. Government of Canada cheques don’t expire and can be cashed at any time, free of charge. For more information, visit the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada webpage on cashing your Government of Canada cheque for free.

If you have a cheque for someone who has died

Give the cheque to the person managing the tax affairs of the deceased person, or return it to the CRA. If you are managing the tax affairs of a deceased person, deposit the cheque into the estate account and complete their final tax return: consult managing the final tax returns for someone who has died.

If you need a replacement cheque

If your CRA cheque was lost, destroyed, stolen, or is missing, contact the CRA to request a replacement. The CRA will do a verification, which may include sending forms for you to fill out. A replacement cheque will be issued, if warranted.

Avoid future refund and benefit payment delays

There are many advantages to using the CRA’s online services. Use My Account to track your tax refund and check your benefit and credit payments. And you can do all of this from your mobile device using the MyCRA mobile application. For businesses, use My Business Account to access your GST/HST, payroll, corporation income taxes, excise taxes, and excise duties and other levies accounts.

Find out when your next payment will be issued to keep track of your upcoming payments:

Page details

Date modified: