It’s tax time! You’ve got questions? We’ve got answers.

January 26, 2021

Ottawa, Ontario

Canada Revenue Agency

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) understands that the COVID-19 pandemic has affected the usual ways Canadians manage their taxes. The CRA is here to answer questions you may have regarding your tax affairs, and to help you successfully file your income tax and benefit return.

Here are the answers to the top questions we’re asked at tax time, as well as some answers about COVID-19 benefits. You can also check out our questions and answers about filing your taxes for help on COVID-19 benefits, and the tax filing process.

Sign up for direct deposit and file online to reduce impacts and delays

The CRA encourages you to sign up for direct deposit and to file your income tax and benefit return online to get any refund for which you may be eligible faster, avoid delays, and reduce your potential exposure to COVID-19. The CRA also encourages you to sign up for My Account; the fastest and easiest way to view and manage your tax and benefit information. If you own a business, we encourage you to sign up for My Business Account. The CRA’s Get Ready page has information on online filing, deadlines, and other helpful links.

Find out how to sign up for My Account and direct deposit below.

Top questions

How do the COVID-19 benefits impact your income tax return?

If you received the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB), Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB), Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB), or Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) payments, these are considered taxable income, and you will have to enter on your return the total of the amounts you received. You will receive a T4A (for benefits issued by the CRA) and/or a T4E (for benefits issued by Service Canada) tax slip in the mail with the information you need for your return. You can view tax slips online as of February in My Account. Residents of Quebec will receive both a T4A and RL-1 slip.

In addition, you may owe tax when filing your return. This will depend on your personal circumstances, and the type of COVID-19 benefits you received:

We recognize that for some individuals, repaying these benefits could present significant financial hardship. For this reason, payment arrangement parameters have been expanded to give Canadians more time and flexibility to repay based on their individual financial situations.

There may be other impacts to filing your tax return that are specific to the COVID-19 benefit you received, or if you are a resident in Quebec.

How do you register for My Account?

To register for My Account, go to and select “CRA register.”

You will need to provide:

If you previously registered for My Account to apply for COVID-19 benefits, you are encouraged to enter the security code you received in the mail to access all of My Account’s features.

How do you register for direct deposit?

The CRA encourages Canadians to register for direct deposit to reduce any delays in receiving your refund, or benefit or credit payments due to COVID-19. You can register for direct deposit through many financial institutions or by calling the CRA at 1-800-959-8281.

Where do you get your tax slips?

Tax slips for the filing year are prepared by your employer or from other payers, such as your pension providers or financial institutions. If you’ve lost a slip or haven’t received one, ask your employer/payer for it.

For COVID-19 benefits recipients, you will receive a T4A (for benefits issued by the CRA) and/or a T4E (for benefits issued by Service Canada) tax slip in the mail with the information to enter on your return. Residents of Quebec will receive both a T4A and RL-1 slip.

Registering for My Account may give you access to copies of your tax slips online. My Account will also give you access to use Auto-fill my Return, which quickly fills in parts of your return with the information the CRA has on file, including the tax slips for your COVID-19 emergency benefits.

If you’re still missing information, you can use pay stubs and statements to estimate the amount of income to use when completing your income tax and benefit return. To avoid penalties and interest, file your return by the due date.

If you’re looking for slips from previous years, you can get them through My Account.

What is your balance owing or where is your refund?

You can easily find your balance owing or refund amount by logging into My Account or the MyCRA mobile web app.

If you have a refund, you will also find the refund method, the date it was sent, and the amount refunded.

If you have questions about your refund, you can call the Tax Information Phone Service at 1‑800-267-6999.

How can you get a copy of your notice of assessment (NOA) or reassessment?

With COVID-19, as it is every year, the fastest way to get your NOA is through the Express NOA service. The NOA is available in certified software right after the CRA has received and processed your return, which in most cases is seconds after filing. To use the Express NOA service, you have to sign up for My Account.

Once you’re registered for My Account, you’ll be able to view and print information about an assessment or reassessment of your income tax and benefit return. You can view NOAs for the current year, as well as the previous 11 years.

You can choose to receive your tax correspondence online through My Account’s email notifications service. Register through My Account or the MyCRA mobile app by selecting “Notification preferences” or by entering your email address on your income tax and benefit return. Through the service, you will receive an email when your notice of assessment or reassessment, and other CRA correspondence, is available to view online.


Media Relations
Canada Revenue Agency

- 30 -

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: