How to complete the capital cost allowance (CCA) charts

To calculate your current tax year deduction for CCA, and any recaptured CCA and terminal losses, use Area A on any of the following forms:

You may have acquired or disposed of buildings or equipment during your fiscal period. If so, fill in the applicable Area B, Area C, Area D, Area E, or Area F, whichever applies, before completing Area A.


Even if you are not claiming a deduction for CCA for the current tax year, complete the appropriate areas of the form to show any additions and dispositions during the year.

Column 1 – Class number

Enter in this column the class numbers of your properties.

If this is the first year you are claiming CCA, go to Classes of depreciable property to determine the classes to which your property belongs. If you own rental property, go to Rental – classes of depreciable property

If you claimed CCA last year, you can get the class numbers of your properties from last year's form.

Separate classes

Generally, if you own several properties in the same CCA class, combine the capital cost of all these properties into one class. Then, enter the total in Area A of your form.

Note for rental properties

If you acquired a rental property after 1971 and it had a capital cost of $50,000 or more, you have to put it in a separate class.

Calculate your CCA separately for each rental property that is in a separate class. Do this by listing the rental property on a separate line in Area A. For CCA purposes, the capital cost is the part of the purchase price that relates to the building only.

When you dispose of a rental property that you have set up in a separate class in Area A, you base any CCA recapture or terminal loss on the disposition of that rental property only. When calculating these amounts, do not consider other rental property you own that has the same class number as the rental property you disposed of.

Column 2 – Undepreciated capital cost (UCC) at the start of the year

If this is the first year you are claiming CCA, skip this column.

Otherwise, enter in this column the remaining undepreciated capital cost (UCC) of each class at the end of last year. You can find these amounts in last year's completed form calculation table in column 13.

Column 3 – Cost of additions in the year

If you acquire or make improvements to depreciable property in the year, we generally consider them to be additions to the class in which the property belongs.

You should:

  • complete Areas B and C on your form, if applicable
  • for each class, enter in column 3 of Area A the amounts from column 5 for each class in Areas B and C

For the exceptions to this rule, go to Class 3 (5%) and Class 6 (10%).

Do not include the value of your own labour in the cost of a property you build or improve. Include the cost of surveying or valuing a property you acquire. A property usually has to be available for use before you can claim CCA.

To find out if any special considerations apply in your case, go to Changing from personal to rental use, Grants, subsidies, and other incentives or inducements and Non-arm's length transactions.


When completing Areas B and C, enter the part of the property that you personally use in the "Personal portion" column (if applicable), separate from the part you rent. For example, if you rent 25% of your personal residence, your personal use portion is the other 75%.

Column 4 – Cost of additions which are eligible accelerated investment incentive properties (AIIP) under proposed legislation

Enter in column 4 the cost of additions that are eligible accelerated investment incentive property (AIIP). These properties must be eligible for the enhanced allowance or accelerated investment incentive, acquired after November 20, 2018, and be available for use in the year. This number is a part of the total cost of additions in column 3 and cannot be higher than the number in column 3.

If no AIIP is acquired after November 20, 2018, enter "0" in this column.

To be eligible for the accelerated investment incentive, the property must become available for use in the year.

For more information on the accelerated investment incentive, go to Accelerated Investment Incentive.

Column 5 – Proceeds of disposition in the year

Enter the details of your current-year dispositions on your form, as explained below.

If you disposed of depreciable property during your current tax year, you should:

  • complete, for each class, Areas D and E, if applicable
  • enter in column 5 of the calculation table in Area A the amounts for each class from column 5 of Areas D and E

When completing the tables in Areas D and E, enter in column 3 – Cost of additions in the year whichever amount is the lesser of either:

Your proceeds of disposition could include compensation you receive for property that has been destroyed, expropriated, or stolen. Special rules may apply if you dispose of a building for less than both its undepreciated capital cost (UCC) and your capital cost. If this is the case, go to Disposing of a building.

If you sell a property for more than its cost, you may have a capital gain. You may be able to postpone or defer the capital gain or recapture of CCA in your income.

Column 6 – Undepreciated capital cost (UCC) after additions and dispositions (column 2 plus column 3 minus column 5)

The UCC amount for column 6 is the initial UCC amount at the start of the year plus the cost of additions minus the proceeds of dispositions.

You cannot claim capital cost allowance (CCA) when the amount in column 6 is either:

  • negative (see Recapture of CCA)
  • positive and you do not have any property left in that class at the end of your 2018 fiscal period (see Terminal loss)

In either case, enter "0" in column 13 – Undepreciated capital cost (UCC) at the end of the year (column 6 minus column 12).

Column 7 – Proceeds of dispositions available to reduce additions of AIIP

You must determine which amount of your proceeds of disposition is available to reduce your AIIP additions.

If no AIIP is acquired after November 20, 2018, you do not need to use this column.

If the UCC of a class increases in a year by an investment in both AIIP and non-AIIP, and an amount (e.g., a disposition) reduces the UCC of the class, you must first reduce the cost of non-AIIP additions before reducing the cost of AIIP additions.

To determine which portion of your proceeds of dispositions, if any, will reduce the cost of your AIIP additions, take proceeds of disposition in column 5 minus cost of additions in the year in column 3 plus cost of additions for AIIP in column 4. If the result is negative enter "0."

For more information on the accelerated investment incentive, go to Accelerated Investment Incentive.

Column 8 – Undepreciated capital cost (UCC) for current-year additions of AIIP

This column calculates the enhanced UCC amount used to determine the additional CCA for AIIP.

If no AIIP is acquired after November 20, 2018, enter "0" in this column.

For this column, reduce the cost of AIIP additions in column 4 by proceeds of disposition available to reduce the AIIP additions as calculated in column 7. Multiply the result by the following factor:

  • 2 1/3 for Class 43.1
  • 1 for Classes 43.2 and 53
  • 0.5 for the remaining AIIP (except AIIP in Class 12, which is already eligible for a 100% CCA rate and is not adjusted by this column)

These factors will change for properties that become available for use after 2023 and the incentive is completely phased out for properties available for use after 2027.

For more information about AIIP and it's application, go to Application and phase-out.

Column 9 – Adjustment for current-year additions subject to the half-year rule

In the year you acquire or make additions to a property, you can usually claim CCA on half of your net additions (the amount in column 3 minus the amount in column 5). We call this limit the half-year rule.

Calculate your CCA claim only on the net adjusted amount. Do not reduce the cost of the additions in column 3, or the CCA rate in column 11. For example, if before November 20, 2018, you acquired a property for $30,000, you would base your CCA claim on $15,000 ($30,000 × 50%) in the year you acquired the property.

If you acquired and disposed of depreciable property of the same class in the current tax year, the calculation in column 9 restricts your CCA claim.

Calculate the CCA you can claim as follows:

  • Determine which of the following amounts is less:
    • the proceeds of disposition of your property, minus any related costs or expenses
    • the capital cost
  • Subtract the above amount from the capital cost of your addition
  • Enter 50% of the result in column 9. If the result is negative, enter "0"

In some cases, you do not make an adjustment in column 9. For example, in a non-arm's length transaction, you may buy depreciable property that the seller continuously owned from the day that is at least 364 days before the end of your 2018 fiscal period to the day the property was acquired.

Also, some properties are not subject to the half-year rule. Some examples are those in Class 13, Class 34, Class 52 as well as some in Class 12, such as small tools.

The half-year rule does not apply when the available-for-use rule denies a CCA claim until the second year after you acquired a property.

Column 10 – Base amount for CCA

This is the amount in column 6 plus the amount in column 8 minus the amount in column 9.

Base your CCA claim on this amount.

Column 11 – CCA rate (%)

Enter the prescribed CCA rate (percentage) for each property class you have listed in column 1 of Area A.

Column 12 – CCA for the year

In column 12, enter the CCA you want to deduct for the current year. You can claim the CCA for the year up to the maximum amount allowed.

In Area A, you calculate the maximum amount for column 12 by multiplying the amount in column 10 by the amount in column 11.

Enter the total CCA being claimed on line 9936 of your form.

If you are a co-owner, enter only your share of the CCA.

Column 13 – Undepreciated capital cost (UCC) at the end of the year (column 6 minus column 12)

This is the undepreciated capital cost (UCC) at the end of the current tax year. This will be the amount you enter in column 2 – Undepreciated capital cost (UCC) at the start of the year when you calculate your CCA claim next year.

If you have a terminal loss or a recapture of CCA, enter "0" in column 13.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: