Capital gains

If you sell a property for more than it cost, you will have a capital gain. List the dispositions of all your properties on schedule 3, Capital Gains (or Losses).

You will find a copy of this schedule in your General Income Tax and Benefit Guide package. For information on how to calculate your taxable capital gain, go to line 127 – Capital gains.

You may be a partner in a partnership and receive a T5013 slip, Statement of Partnership Income. If the partnership has a capital gain, it will allocate part of that gain to you. The gain will show on the partnership's financial statements or on your T5013 slip.


You cannot have a capital loss when you sell depreciable property. However, you may have a terminal loss. For an explanation of terminal losses, go to Column 5 – Proceeds of disposition in the year.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: