Host a free tax clinic
For the 2022 tax season, some community organizations are hosting free virtual tax clinics. As a host organization, your volunteers can complete and file taxes for free, by videoconference, by phone or through a drop-off clinic.
Does your organization work with clients who need help with their tax return? By hosting a free tax clinic, you can help people get their entitled benefits and tax credits, increase your organization's effect in your community, and help improve your clients’ quality of life.
About free tax clinics
At free tax clinics, eligible people can get their tax returns done by volunteers for free. To be eligible, a person must have a modest income and a simple tax situation. Free tax clinics are hosted by community organizations across Canada through the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP).
Organizations that host tax clinics include non-profits, charities, and community associations. Some organizations offer a full-service tax clinic. They look after volunteers and organize the clinic, while others only provide space. Your organization decides the type and frequency of services you wish to offer.
How the program works
The CVITP is a collaboration between community organizations and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
The community organization:
- hosts the free tax clinics.
- manages resources and volunteers.
- keeps taxpayer information secure and confidential.
- makes sure volunteers have completed all required registrations and have provided a valid police records check, if needed.
- offers guidance and support to organizations.
- provides training for volunteers.
- offers a grant to eligible organizations.
- provides free tax preparation software.
- operates a year-round dedicated help line for volunteers.
- provides promotional material.
- donates used laptops to eligible organizations.
CVITP volunteers get access to the CRA’s EFILE and Auto-fill my return software.
How to register your organization
Your organization must register with the CVITP to participate in the program. After you complete the registration, a CRA coordinator will contact you to ensure you have all the information you need to host tax clinics.
If your organization is approved to participate in the program, you will be assigned a CVITP Organization Identification Number (COIN) to retain for the duration of your organization’s participation in the program.
For more information
For more information, contact a CRA coordinator or call 1-800-959-8281.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: