Host a free tax clinic at your organization
On this page
Have your clients been asking for help with their tax return, and does your organization want to help people in your community access the benefits and credits they are entitled to? Increase your organization's impact in your community and significantly improve your client's quality of life by hosting free tax clinics.
A free tax clinic is a place where eligible people who have a modest income and a simple tax situation can go to get their tax returns done for free. Through the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program, community organizations across Canada host free tax preparation clinics where volunteers do tax returns for eligible people.
Organizations that host tax clinics include non-profits, charities, and organizations that provide services to the community. Some organizations offer full-service, meaning they look after volunteers and organize tax clinics, while others only provide space. You decide the type and frequency of services you wish to offer.
The Community Volunteer Income Tax Program is a collaboration between community organizations and the Canada Revenue Agency.
The community organization:
- hosts free tax clinics
- arranges for volunteers to complete tax returns for eligible people
- manages resources and volunteers
- keeps taxpayer information secure and confidential
- makes sure that volunteer registrations are approved, and if needed, that volunteers provide a police records check before they start to volunteer
The Canada Revenue Agency:
- offers guidance and support to organizations
- arranges training for volunteers
- provides free tax preparation software
- operates a year-round dedicated help line for volunteers
- provides promotional material
- donates used laptops to eligible organizations
To register your organization to host tax clinics, click on the register my organization button below.
After you complete the registration, a Canada Revenue Agency coordinator will contact you to ensure you have all the information you need to host tax clinics.
For more information, contact a Canada Revenue Agency coordinator.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: