Host a free tax clinic
On this page
Does your organization work with clients who need help with their tax return? By hosting a free tax clinic, you can help people get the benefits and tax credits they may be entitled to increase your organization's impact in your community and help improve your clients’ quality of life.
About free tax clinics
A free tax clinic is a place where eligible people can get their tax returns done by volunteers for free. To be eligible, a person must have a modest income and a simple tax situation. The free tax clinics are hosted by community organizations across Canada through the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program.
Organizations that host tax clinics include non-profits, charities, and associations that serve the community. Some organizations offer a full-service tax clinic, meaning they look after volunteers and organize the clinic, while others only provide space. You decide the type and frequency of services you wish to offer.
How the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program works
The Community Volunteer Income Tax Program is a collaboration between community organizations and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
The community organization:
- hosts the free tax clinics
- manages resources and volunteers
- keeps taxpayer information secure and confidential
- makes sure that all volunteer registrations are approved before they start volunteering and that they provide a police records check, if needed
- offers guidance and support to organizations
- arranges training for volunteers
- provides free tax preparation software
- operates a year-round dedicated help line for volunteers
- provides promotional material
- donates used laptops to eligible organizations
How to register your organization
To register your organization to host tax clinics, click on the register my organization button below.
After you complete the registration, a CRA coordinator will contact you to ensure you have all the information you need to host tax clinics.
For more information
For more information, contact a Canada Revenue Agency coordinator or call 1-800-959-8281.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: