Get help with your taxes
On this page:
Do you need help completing your tax return? You may be able to get help at a free tax preparation clinic near you.
Community organizations across Canada host tax preparation clinics where volunteers complete tax returns for eligible individuals. These clinics are offered through the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program.
Are you eligible for help?
You may be eligible if you have a modest income and a simple tax situation.
Based on the number of persons in your family, your total family income should be less than the amount shown in the chart. Also, check with your local community organization to see if you meet their requirements.
|Family size||Total family income|
|more than 5 persons||$47,500 plus $2,500 for each additional person|
Simple tax situation
In general, your tax situation is simple if you have no income or if your income comes from these sources:
- benefits such as Canada Pension Plan, disability, employment insurance, social assistance
- registered retirement savings plans (RRSP's)
- support payments
- scholarships, fellowships, bursaries or grants
- interest (under $1,000)
Your tax situation is not simple if you:
- are self-employed or have employment expenses
- have business or rental income and expenses
- have capital gains or losses
- filed for bankruptcy
- are completing a tax return for a deceased person
Find a tax preparation clinic
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: