Get your tax return done at a free tax clinic
On this page
- What is a free tax clinic?
- Am I eligible for help at a free tax clinic?
- Where can I find a free tax clinic?
Do you need help with your tax return? Volunteers at free tax clinics could do your tax return for you.
A free tax clinic is a place where eligible people can go to get their tax returns done for free. Free tax clinics are hosted by community organizations across Canada, through the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program. There are different types of free tax clinics.
Walk-in: you show up during advertised hours and a volunteer will do your tax return for you on a first-come, first-served basis.
By appointment: you make an appointment to see a volunteer at a time that suits you.
Drop-off and pick-up: you show up during advertised hours and drop off your documents for a volunteer to do your return at a later time. You have to prove your identity when you pick up your return and documents.
You may be eligible for help at a free tax clinic if you have a modest income and a simple tax situation.
In general, you have a modest income if based on your family size, your total family income is less than the amount shown in the chart below. Confirm these amounts with your local community organization as their amounts may be different.
|Family size||Total family income|
|more than 5 persons||$52,500 plus $2,500 for each additional person|
Simple tax situation
In general, your tax situation is simple if you have no income or if your income comes from these sources:
- benefits such as Canada Pension Plan, disability, employment insurance, social assistance
- registered retirement savings plans (RRSP's)
- support payments
- scholarships, fellowships, bursaries or grants
- interest (under $1,000)
Your tax situation is not simple if you:
- are self-employed or have employment expenses
- have business or rental income and expenses
- have capital gains or losses
- filed for bankruptcy
- are completing a tax return for a deceased person
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: