What to do when someone has died

Coping with the death of a loved one is difficult. We at the CRA recognize that you are going through a very difficult time. With this in mind, we hope the following information will help you by answering some questions you may have. 



If the deceased person was paying tax by instalments, see Instalments for more information.

You should provide the CRA with the deceased's date of death as soon as possible. You can contact us or complete the applicable information in the form on the back page of Information Sheet RC4111, What to do following a death, and send it to your tax services office or tax centre.

Arrangements must be made to stop payments and, if applicable, transfer them to a survivor if any of the following situations apply:

Service Canada should also be advised of the deceased's date of death.

Questions and Answers

Read some of our more frequently asked questions and answers.

Forms and publications

Forms and publications you may need when some one has died.

Related topics

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: