Sending a tax return

There are several ways to file or send your tax return. However, if you are a non-resident, the only method currently available to file is by mail.

By Internet


NETFILE is a secure service that allows you to file your income tax and benefit return electronically using a tax preparation software or a web tax application. For a list of available software and applications, including free ones go to NETFILE.



Before filing online, your information, including your address, must be up to date. If you have registered for the full version of CRA's My Account or MyCRA service, you can change your address and update your direct deposit information in participating NETFILE certified tax preparation software. If not, you must tell the CRA your new address by phone.

EFILE for individuals

EFILE is a secure service that lets authorized service providers, including a discounter, complete and file your return electronically. For more information go to EFILE for individuals.

Auto-fill my return

Auto-fill my return is a secure CRA service that lets you or your authorized service provider automatically fill in certain parts of your current year return. The CRA will have most tax information from most tax slips, such as T4, as well as registered retirement savings plan information, and carry forward amounts. To auto-fill your return, you must be registered with My Account, and be using a certified software product that offers this option. For more information go to Auto-fill my return.

By mail

Whether you are a resident or a non-resident, you can mail your return to your tax centre. If you prepare your return or other people’s returns, mail or deliver each person’s return in a separate envelope. However, if you file returns for more than one year for the same person, put them all in one envelope.


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: