Claims for expenses and financial losses due to Phoenix: request an advance for government benefits

Request an advance for government benefits

If you were overpaid in 2016, 2017, or 2018, the amount you received for government benefits and credits may have been reduced.

You can request an advance for benefits if:

  • you were overpaid in 2016, 2017, or 2018, and your government  benefits or credits, such as Canada child benefit payments, were reduced
  • you are experiencing financial hardship because of a Phoenix pay issue

Advances are interest-free money from the government for your use until your Phoenix pay issue is resolved. Once your pay issue is resolved and you receive the money owing to you, you must pay back the advance.

Requesting an advance will not impact your pay since advances are not processed through the Phoenix pay system. 

Who can submit a claim?

You qualify for an advance if you were overpaid in 2016, 2017, or 2018, and:

  • the amount of your provincial/territorial or federal benefits was reduced because your employment income was overstated
  • you have reported your overpayment to Public Services and Procurement Canada
  • you have not yet received your amended tax slip to correct the overstated employment income
  • you have filed your income tax return for the year which you were overpaid with the Canada Revenue Agency or with Revenu Québec

Before you begin

Read the frequently asked questions about advances for government benefits and credits carefully.

Your request for an advance is important to us. We will review each request carefully, and we will review exceptional situations on a case-by-case basis.

Documents that support your claim

Gather all documents related to your federal and provincial/territorial benefits and credits, such as the Canada child benefit statement or the notice of determination for the GST/HST credit.

Print and complete the claim form. Attach a separate document to your completed form if you need to provide additional explanation.

Your organization has identified a claims officer who can:

  • answer your questions
  • help you fill out the form
  • guide you through the process

Find your organization's claims officer

Keep a copy for your records!

Privacy notice statement

The personal information requested in this form is collected under the authority of the Financial Administration Act and will be used for assessing your request in accordance with the Directive on Payments and with the Directive on Public Money and Receivables. Refusal to provide the requested information may delay or prevent the processing of your request. The personal information you provide may be shared with the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat's Claims Office and Public Services and Procurement Canada. Your personal information will be protected, used and disclosed in accordance with the Privacy Act and as described in Personal Information Bank PSU 931 (Accounts Payable) and PSU 932 (Accounts Receivable). Your information may also be used or disclosed for financial reporting and program evaluation. The information will be retained for seven years following the last administrative action and then destroyed. Under the act, individuals have rights to request access to and correction of their personal information. If you wish to avail yourself of these rights or require clarification about this Privacy Notice Statement, please contact your organization's Privacy Coordinator. If you are not satisfied with the response to your privacy concern, you may wish to communicate with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner by telephone at 1-800-282-1376 or by email at

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: