Apply for Canada Student Loan forgiveness for family doctors and nurses - Eligibility
Please read our latest notice:
To be eligible for Canada Student Loan forgiveness you must have:
- started your current employment (full-time, part-time or casual) as an eligible medical professional (family doctor, resident in family medicine, nurse practitioner, or nurse) in an under-served rural or remote community on or after July 1, 2011;
- been employed for a full year (12 consecutive months) in an under-served rural or remote community (this does not apply to residents in family medicine);
- provided in-person services for a minimum of 400 hours in that community;
- a Canada Student Loan that is in good standing; and
- submitted an Application for Canada Student Loan Forgiveness for Family Doctors and Nurses.
Note: You can apply for Canada Student Loan forgiveness for family doctors and nurses if you are enrolled in full-time or part-time studies, are currently repaying your student loan, or are in your 6-month non-repayment period. If your Canada Student Loan is in repayment, you must continue to make your regular monthly payments.
Eligible medical professionals
If you practice as one of the medical professionals listed below, you could be eligible for Canada Student Loan forgiveness:
- family doctor;
- family medicine resident in training with an accredited medical school in Canada;
- registered nurse;
- registered psychiatric nurse;
- registered practical nurse;
- licensed practical nurse; or
- nurse practitioner.
Eligible under-served rural or remote communities
You can verify if a community is a designated rural or remote community by using our Postal Code Lookup tool.
Note: You can work in multiple under-served rural or remote communities during the year as long as you complete at least 400 hours total of in-person service over the course of the 12-month period. As long as you continue to work in an under-served rural or remote community, you may work for multiple employers during the 12-month period.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: